The human brain is the most complex object we’ve discovered in the universe. It’s an incredibly intricate organ with from 100-500 trillion synapses. We all know it’s intricate this and we pretty much leave it at that. But, the details are what are shocking. New research is discovering specifics of the brain that we couldn’t even fathom even 10 years ago.
What’s even more interesting is how much stuff is pre-programmed. Like how men are more attracted to females with dilated pupils without recognizing that the pupils are dilated. That “recognition algorithm” is built into the brain to recognize the pupil size because a sexually stimulated female will have dilated pupils and be more likely to mate.
Let’s start with the basics because even they are impressive:
- 20% = the amount of your daily energy that your brain uses each day, the amount of your daily oxygen it uses, and the amount of blood it uses daily.
- 10-23 Watts = how many watts your brain produces when you’re awake (enough to run a light bulb)
- You’re born with about the same amount of brain cells as you have as an adult. Those cells simply grow reaching their maximum size at age 6.
- Your most intense emotional memories are prompted by scent. Scent memories have stronger emotional connections and seem more intense than other memory triggers.
- Your brain virtually paralyses you when you sleep so that you don’t act out your dreams.
- 100,000 miles = the length of all the blood vessels in the brains put end to end.
- 100 billion = the number of neurons in your brain
- 1,000 – 10,000 = the number of synapses on each neuron in your brain
- 3 pounds = weight of your brain and your brain is about 75% water
- The brain is the fattiest organ in the body.
- 10% = the old saying that you use only 10% of your brain is false. Every part of your brain is used.
- Brain waves are more active when you’re dreaming than when you’re awake.
- Babe Ruth was tested by two Columbia psychology students and was determined to be working at 90% efficiency compared to the 60% efficiency measured for most people.