Stagecoach Ski Area near Steamboat Springs, CO was a sweet, little, 2,200-vertical-foot, 900-acre, badass ski area that briefly operated from 1972-74.
“Stagecoach was the real deal, and it had good skiing for everybody. They invested in some pretty good lifts, and there was good terrain.” – Olympic downhill skier Jim “Moose” Barrows told Steamboat Today in 2015
Since that time, it’s remained a myth with many locales hoping it will one day rise again.
Enter Don McLean, CEO of Stagecoach Communities, LLC. On September 1st, 2016 Don informed the Routt County Planning Commission of his plans to purchase Stagecoach Ski Area this October from the Wittemyer family and open the ski area with two new chairlifts by December 2017.
“We’re looking to create a family-based, active, four-season community. Our intent is to create a blueprint for responsible mountain development to show how this can be done. ” – Don McLean told Steamboat Today
“It will be a ski area built by skiers for skiers and riders with intermediate terrain, beginner terrain and some pleasant surprises, with some (steep) pitches that exceed anything in the area. … We’re not coming in with $100 million to build a six-story building. We intend to develop something that’s more organic that follows what the land tells us to do and not try to rush it.” -Don McLean told Steamboat Today
Don plans on putting in two new Dopplemayr ski lifts. A high speed quad that would go two thirds the way up the north face of Stagecoach and another fixed triple chair that would go beyond that quad to the top of the north face.
If the ski area is able to open in 2017, it’ll open with temporary building at the base area.
STAGECOACH PURCHASE DETAILS:
- Located 18 miles south of Steamboat Springs ski resort, CO and north of Beaver Creek ski resort, CO
- 2,200-vertical on north side, 900-vertical-feet on the south side
- 900-acres currently, plans to grow that to 1,200 acres with installation of future chairlift
- The pending purchase includes 3,500 acres of private land
- Very few amenities at the ski area currently
- Residential development will be in future plans
- Stagecoach ski area first opened in December 1972 and closed in February 1974 when Texas based developer Woodmoor Corp. tanked
ABOUT STAGECOACH COMMUNITIES LLC:
- Don McLean will be CEO and was involved in developing the Mountain Village at Telluride, CO, was once a ski patroller at Vail, worked in sales at Beaver Creek, was once a roommate of Pete Seibert’s (Vail Founder & 10th Mountain Division Soldier) son.
- Steve Elkins is a founder and was Steamboats Ski Resort’s director of planning and development from 1970 – 1994.
- Scott Sober, CPA, is a founder and will be president and director of finance.
- Rick MacCutcheon, former vice president of real estate development at Vail Resorts will be CFO.
STAGECOACH SKI AREA:
Years of Operation: 1972 – 1974
Vertical Drop: 2,200 ft
Average Snowfall: 300″
Lifts: 3 Double Chairs (Heron-Poma Lifts)
Facilities: 1 base lodge that was never finished, 1 temporary lodge
(now gone), ski patrol huts, condos, general store, leasing office, and
some various other buildings.