Yosemite Rim Fire Facts:
– The cause of the Rim Fire is still unknown.
– It’s burned over 187,000 acres.
– It entered Yosemite National Park on August 23rd.
– The fire is threatening Hetch Hetchy reservoir, San Francisco’s drinking water source.
– The Giant Sequoias (largest organisms on Earth) are threatened in Merced Grove.
GIF: Brett Brownell / Fire perimeter data: National Wildlife Coordinating Group
– 3,700 firefighters have been dispatched to fight it with 460 fire engines, 15 helicopters, 60 bulldozers, and flame retardants.
– 23% of the fire is contained.
– 7th largest fire in California history (It’s Huge)
– The fire is bigger than Chicago
– 111 structures have been burned and 4,500 are threatened.
– We’re pretty sure that our favorite cliff jumping spot, Rainbow Pools has been torched.
NASA’s Aqua satellite on August 22. Jeff Schmaltz/NASA
How Climate Change Fuels Wildfires | Explained in 90-Seconds:
6 thoughts on “10 Scary Facts About the Yosemite Rim Fire in California:”
Over 200,000 acres and only 30% contained
Could burn to rt 108 (rd over Sonora pass)
Or to rt 120 high country (closing route from east over Tioga Pass)
Behavior still considered “extreme” Back fires and heavy air bombardment
seems to be working.
This fire is pissed off and evil!