On April 1, 2023, around 1:30 a.m., an unoccupied single-family home on Juniper Road, Mammoth lakes, CA, was rocked by a massive explosion. Emergency crews responded to the scene of the explosion, which also caused a structure fire, resulting in the evacuation of nearby residences. Additionally, the fire caused snowmelt flooding, resulting in the evacuation of a nearby condominium complex.
First Responders, including Mutual Aid Resources, have completed searching the area for victims. Safety personnel continue to monitor the fire and evaluate the surrounding buildings. Please avoid the area as it is an active scene and help keep the roads open for emergency vehicles.
This is the second explosion in two weeks at Mammoth Lakes. The previous explosion, unfortunately, injured five, including one person who was in critical condition.
Mammoth Lakes Police Department has issued a warning to residents that buried propane lines, and regulators pose an imminent threat to life and property. To mitigate the threat, the police department urges residents to clear propane lines, valves, tanks, and regulators of snow and ice. In addition, they point out to be mindful when clearing snow from roofs and to not bury tanks or connections with snow. Heavy accumulations of snow or ice falling on tanks, regulators, meters, piping, or valves may cause damage that could result in a gas leak.
Be alert – if you smell gas, immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire. If you smell gas, leave the area immediately and phone 911 from a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak. Do not return to the area or building until you have been told it is safe to do so.
The town of Mammoth Lakes has posted propane safety information and snow management resources on its homepage and released a propane safety video together with the Mammoth Lakes Fire Department to help keep citizens and visitors safe.