Report from December 1, 2022
On the 3rd ski day of our trip we arrived in Paradise Bay to strong wind and dumping snow.
We were one of the later Zodiacs out this day so we followed the skin track up and on the way up, I noticed no one had been skiing the nice zone next to the big wind spine…
We ripped off our skins and went straight for that zone.
The snow up high was wind beaten and corrugated, the snow down by the wind-lip was pure joy…
We tried a line off the backside that wasn’t as good then went right back to the wind spine zone for 2 more.
By then we were feeling the weather and we elected to go back to the boat for a bit.
We ate lunch, chilled for a bit, then went right back out for more.
We followed Gabe’s group to Lemaire Island, which I hadn’t skied since my very first trip down here back in 2014.
This zone is much steeper than the terrain we usually ski and the views straight down into the iceberg-filled sea were stunning.
The skiing was awesome!
Steep, kinda exposed feeling, and flowy.
We all skied right down the beach and exchanged double high-fives.
After this epic day of powder skiing, our ship took us down through the Lemaire Channel, which is a site to see.
Only 600m wide at its narrowest with tall peaks on either side, it’s a sight to behold.
Yet another powder day in Paradise.
ANTARCTICA 2022 [2.0] REPORTS
- Antarctica [2.0] Day #4: Powder Snow, Leopard Seal, Shipwreck, Stunning Icebergs, & The Polar Plunge
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #3: Powder Snow & Steep Skiing Above Icebergs Bobbing in the Sea
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #2: Winds So Strong The Captain Called Us Back To The Ship…
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #1: Deception Island – Skiing in an Active Volcano…
NOVEMBER 2022 REPORTS FROM ARGENTINA, CHILE, ANTARCTICA
IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
Tierra Del Fuego
Tierra Del Fuego
- Patagonia Road Trip Day #5: 15-Mile Round Trip Hike to See The Legendary 11,171′ Mt. Fitzroy From Lago Sucio