On May 14, BC Parks will start to reopen the majority of provincial parks and protected areas and marine parks to the public. People across the province will have more access to safe outdoor recreation opportunities while meeting the guidelines of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO).
On May 14, BC Parks will reopen many front- and back-country trails, beaches, picnic areas, washroom facilities, and boat launches for day-use.
- Visitor centers, nature houses, and concession buildings may be opened on a case-by-case basis.
- In some instances, facilities such as playgrounds, hot springs, halls, and picnic shelters will remain closed.
On June 1, BC Parks will re-open most provincial campgrounds and back-country camping.
- To ensure physical distancing, you may notice some changes in campgrounds, including additional spacing between campsites and limitations on the number of guests in campgrounds.
- Some communal facilities such as shower buildings will open with enhanced cleaning protocols, while campgrounds that require visitors to use shared cooking facilities and backcountry cabins will remain closed.
Parks that attract large crowds will remain closed until it is safe to reopen at a later date. Backcountry campgrounds in some parks with high day use will also remain closed.
Health and Safety Guidelines
- Please visit parks close to home.
- Visitors are expected to respect any facility or area closures and to follow the physical distancing requirements set out by the PHO.
- Visitors should bring their own hand sanitizer are asked to practice appropriate hygiene. If you are sick, please visit another time.
BC Parks is doing everything we can to ensure parks are safe. We are all in this together, and we are counting on everyone to do their part so parks can remain open.
- For more information on the status of a specific park: bcparks.ca
- BC Parks Re-Opening Frequently Asked Questions: bcparks.ca/covid-19/questions-answers/
- For more COVID-19 information, visit the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC): covid-19.bccdc.ca/
- BC’s response to COVID-19 and BC’s Restart Plan: www.gov.bc.ca/covid19
- Provincial Health Officer and Ministry of Health News: https://news.gov.bc.ca/ministries/health