Michelle Pratt, recent graduate of Blackfoot High School, is recovering after and ATV accident in Fillmore(south central), Utah on July 3rd, according to the Idaho State Journal. Pratt won five individual track and field state championships and one cross country state title in high school and received a running scholarship to Weber State University in Ogden, Utah.
“She was lucky to be alive to tell you the truth,” said Pratt’s Mother Alissa.
- Driving an ATV with 20 yr old cousin Danielle Lewis down a road with a series of switchbacks when the vehicles brakes failed.
- Pratt and Lewis fell off a 300 foot cliff
- They were discovered later by their uncle Lonnie Rasmussen who was driving ahead of them on the road.
- Michelle was airlifted to Utah Valley Hospital in Provo and was then transferred to the University of Utah Hospital on Tuesday.
Pratt is now in the Neuro-Intensive Care Unit where she will undergo a series of surgeries for her multiple injuries.
Injuries Michelle Suffered:
- Broken Left hand
- Fractured her sixth thoracic vertebra
- Tore a carotid artery that caused a blood clot in her brain.
- Her spinal injury appears to not have caused nerve damage. She temporarily lost feeling and movement on her left side due to the blood clot in her brain, meaning she will have to relearn how to use that side of her body.
Her Cousin, Lewis, received treatment for a broken femur at Inter-mountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah. She is walking and expected to make a full recovery.
Both girls were wearing helmets at the time of the crash.