Brought to you by Tamarack Resort & Scott Sports
My guest today is Ingrid Backstrom. Ingrid is a legendary freeskier who made a massive impact on the ski industry and forever changed freeskiing. She started out dominating the North American freeskiing competitions ending up on the podium in 12 of the 14 contests she entered. After getting noticed by the owners of Matchstick Productions while winning a freeskiing comp in Crested Butte, CO, Ingrid exploded onto the freeskiing scene in 2004 and has never looked back. After her first ski movie with Matchstick Productions 2004 Yearbook, Ingrid took home both “Best Female Performance” & “Breakthrough Performace” at the 2005 Powder Awards. Ingrid won Powder Magazine’s Reader Poll every year from 2005-2015. Ingrid’s aggressive, hard-charging, graceful, seemingly effortless style blew people’s minds on the big screen.
Ingrid has also proven herself on some of Earth’s highest mountains skiing off 26,000’ Gasherbrum II in the Himalaya and harvesting the first decent of 20,000’ Reddomaine in China, not to mention her first descents in Greenland, Baffin Island, and more. Ingrid’s humble background of spending weekends in a 1954 bookmobile turned RV in the Crystal Mountain parking lot and ski racing at Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA, are fascinating and pivotal to her success. Ingrid has been in over 20 ski movies and was even included in ESPN’s 50 Most Influential People in Action Sport in 2013. Ingrid was a joy to speak with, and we learned a lot about life in chatting with her, and we’re confident that you will as well.
This episode is brought to you by Tamarack Resort:
Nestled in the west-central mountains of Idaho, Tamarack boasts 1,100-acres of terrain, 2,800-vertical-feet, and an independent spirit and community vibe unmatched in the west.
You might come to Tamarack Resort for the views that unfold across the valley or the unspoiled terrain and vast open bowls. Maybe you’ll come to uncover a place that’s a little different, that’s down to Earth and at home on the path less traveled. But we know you’ll come back because there’s a community of people at Tamarack who make you feel like you’re in the right place, at the right time.
For the free-spirits that hear the call of the undiscovered and believe the future truly is boundless, Tamarack Resort is the place for you. And we can’t wait to welcome you with arms wide open. Find it. Together. At TamarackIdaho.com
This episode is also brought to you by Scott Sports :
Technology, innovation, and design is the name of the game, and that’s exactly what SCOTT Sports is; It’s in their DNA. Skiing is about testing yourself – seeing the possibilities that you are presented with and pushing yourself to seize the greatest challenges. SCOTT Sports has the gear to help you do just that. To learn more, check out scottsports.com and see what real innovation looks like.
Skip the lift lines this year and get in the backcountry! With all the new SCOTT winter essentials, you’re set to have a safe and fun time in the mountains. Check out their new product line at scottsports.com.
Looking to test the boundaries but fearful of high-risk situations? SCOTT Sports knows the danger; that’s why they’ve developed the Patrol E1 Avalanche Backpack. It’s the ultimate freeskiing avalanche backpack, pushing the boundaries of innovation. The supercapacitor technology and exceptional design result in one of the lightest electric airbag backpacks on the market to date! To learn more, go to scottsports.com.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #25 – Ingrid Backstrom
Recorded on November 17, 2021, in the Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Leavenworth, WA (Ingrid Backstrom).
This episode was edited by Jared White
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s G.N.A.R., Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier