Report from December 15, 2022
We decided to go for a new zone in Lake Tahoe on Thursday.
The key right now is north faces.
North faces still have amazing powder leftover from last week’s storm.
All other aspects are suspect…
We went for a long walk to try a couple of laps in a zone we’d never been to before.
Steep, pillowy terrain then a long rippable slope down to a cliff/lake ending.
Basically, a 4 run day.
The first run was steep with pillows and fantastic snow.
The surface hoar is about 3cm tall in this zone right now and it makes a terrific hissing noise when you ski it.
Have a listen in the videos above 🙂
The 2nd run was an absolute hoot on a wide-open rippable face with occasional pillow poppers and rocks to drop.
Back up to the top via a very steep, tricky skin track (thanks, Garrett & Matty).
Run number 3 was in a different zone but with the same steep, pillowy goodness.
Run number 4 was on that wide-open slope again and we just couldn’t get over how good that snow was!
From there we headed home with happy memories and full hearts.
Thanks to Garret, Matty, and Fox for being great backcountry partners out there.
- Lake Tahoe, CA Report: Ridiculous Views Skiing Over Hissing 3cm Surface Hoar in Perfect Powder
- Lake Tahoe, CA Report: Incredible Powder Snow Above Gorgeous Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe, CA Report: Surreal Pink Sunset Skiing Above Lake Tahoe
- Park City, UT Report: Sweet Sweet Utah Pow…
- [VIDEO] Suicide Chute on 11,000′ Mt. Superior in Powder Snow
- Antarctica [2.0] Day #4: Powder Snow, Leopard Seal, Shipwreck, Stunning Icebergs, & The Polar Plunge