Following an International Ski Federation (FIS) meeting last week, Lindsey Vonn’s dream of racing against the men is a step closer.
As SnowBrains reported two weeks ago, Lindsey has been trying for almost ten years to race the men and has asked for this most recent opportunity, slated for late 2018 at the downhill event in Lake Louise, Canada, to be considered. This is a race she has won many times previously, and the men’s and women courses are very similar.
U.S. Ski & Snowboard says a proposal to the FIS for a one-time exception for Lindsey was reviewed in a preliminary meeting of the FIS Alpine Executive Board last Tuesday in Zurich. Given that the proposal was for the 2018-19 season, the board opted to table the motion until it meets again at next May’s FIS Congress in Greece. Her previous proposal in 2012 was flatly refused.
U.S. officials were happy with the outcome as a first step to working with FIS on a plan that would provide Vonn with the opportunity and create a showcase event to promote the sport. U.S. Ski & Snowboard Alpine Director Patrick Riml said, in a statement.
“We’re encouraged by the discussion and the fact that we now have a formal proposal in front of FIS which we can review with FIS in more detail during the season ahead. There is support for the proposal among members of the executive board but also many points to clarify with FIS.”
Vonn owns the women’s record for World Cup wins with 77 and is just nine wins from equaling the men’s mark set by Ingemar Stenmark of Sweden.