Mad River Glen, VT Renovates 72-Year Old Basebox and Patrol Building

Emily Crofton | | Industry NewsIndustry News
Demolition work is underway at Mad River Glen. photo credit: Ry Young

Mad River Glen, infamous for its single chair, challenging east coast terrain, and rustic vibe, has initiated a substantial renovation project on their 72-year old Basebox and ski patrol building. Remaining unchanged for over 30 years, both buildings will be revamped in order to coincide with safety, efficiency, and regulatory code standards. With their primary goal being to address current codes, Mad River Glen hopes to preserve the historic character that makes it so unique.

One of the notable facets of the small but mighty Vermont ski area is the dedicated community of skiers that cooperatively own Mad River Glen. The Co-op, consisting of 2,000 shareholders, created the “Preserve Our Paradise” campaign in order to raise funds to preserve and sustain Mad River Glen. Focusing on addressing the urgent needs of the mountain, the campaign strategically funds essential capital improvements. For this $3.2 million project, the campaign is funding 85% of the cost, with the Co-op funding the remaining 15%.

Construction is moving along quickly with plans to complete by November 20, 2020. photo credit: Facebook
Renovating the Basebox and ski patrol building has been a goal of the Co-ops for many years. After a thorough assessment, the most cost-effective option was to completely rebuild on the current footprint. The new ski patrol building, which will also include an updated space for ski school instructors, will provide 1,956 square feet of workspace plus 1,500 square feet of storage space. The Basebox renovations will provide increased space for kids’ ski school programs, provide bathrooms on the main floor, significantly improve the flow of guest traffic, increase bag storage, increase energy efficiency, meet building code compliance, and provide safer and more efficient food and beverage operations.

While Mad River Glen strives to remain unchanged, the renovation project currently underway not only meets the current and future needs of the mountain but also truly highlights the collective efforts of the community that passionately supports the legendary ski area.


Related Articles

Got an opinion? Let us know...