Wow, well that really escalated quickly! A mere four weeks ago we were lamenting the lack of snow, talking of drought and record low snowpack, and dreaming of the snowfall just 12 months previously at Mammoth.
What a difference a month can make! Mammoth Mountain is about to finish one of the snowiest months on record at the resort, with 17-feet of new snow falling this March alone. And guess what? There is another atmospheric river event on the way next week, with the potential for even more powdery goodness.
It should set up for the kind of spring season that’s made Mammoth the spring destination of choice for elite skiers and snowboarders the world over. The resort already announced it will stay open until AT LEAST Memorial Day and possibly (if not likely) longer.
#MammothMarch by the numbers:
- 17 feet of snow (to date) fell on Mammoth Mountain this month
- 4th snowiest March on record
- 35″ fell on March 22nd alone
- More than 10″ of snow fell on seven separate days in March
- The current base (175″) is the third highest in the country
Below are some epic pictures of a month that will long be remembered…