Winter is just around the corner; in fact, it may be even closer than you think. Some resorts may be opening as soon as mid-October. That’s just over a month away.
So, it’s time to get the gear out of storage, wax your skis, wash your clothes (you do, right?), and start those snow dances.
Here are the expected opening dates for Colorado ski areas, which are weather-dependent and subject to change. Let the countdown commence…
- Arapahoe Basin: October
- Keystone: October
- Loveland: October
- Breckenridge: 12 November
- Vail: 12 November
- Winter Park: November 17
- Eldora: 19 November
- Purgatory: 20 November
- Steamboat: 20 November
- Copper Mountain: 22 November
- Beaver Creek: 24 November
- Crested Butte: 24 November
- Aspen Mountain: 25 November
- Snowmass: 25 November
- Telluride: 25 November
- Powderhorn: 26 November
- Cooper: 8 December
- Aspen Highlands: 11 December
- Buttermilk: 11 December
- Sunlight: 12 December
- TBD: Echo Mountain, Granby Ranch, Hesperus, Howelsen Hill, Kendall Mountain, Monarch, Silverton, Wolf Creek
Wild Mountain, MI, who started their lifts turning on 19th October, won last year’s #RaceToOpen.
Typically, it’s a tussle between Colorado’s A-Basin and Loveland to see who starts the ski season off for North America, both resorts battling for bragging rights.
- Related: It’s Septembrrr… Beware
Which ski resort will open first? Colorado is famous for taking the title with resorts like Arapahoe Basin, Wolf Creek, and Loveland being consistent early openers.
But they’re not the only ones. We have some East Coast sleepers with big snowmaking operations in the hunt as well.
To help you make an educated prediction this year, here is a list of the first resorts to open over the last 10 years or so:
- 20/21: Wild Mountain, Minnesota – October 19th
- 19/20: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 11th
- 18/19: Wolf Creek, Colorado – October 13th
- 17/18: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 13th
- 16/17: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 21st
- 15/16: Killington, Vermont – October 18th
- 14/15: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 17th
- 13/14: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 13th
- 12/13: Wild Mountain, Minnesota – October 18th
- 11/12: Wolf Creek, Colorado – October 11th
- 10/11: Sunday River, Maine – October 23rd
- 09/10: Loveland, Colorado – October 6th
- 08/09: Loveland, Colorado – October 7th
So who do you think it’s going to be? Who’s your money on? Let us know…