Park City Mountain Resort, UT, will charge for parking this winter, the resort confirmed in a statement yesterday. A reservation system will be in effect from December 12, 2022, through April 2nd, 2023, and will include $25 paid parking as well as some free parking. Incentives will be available for those carpooling or using transit, reports the Park Record.
“This plan will reduce traffic congestion in the Mountain Village base area and give guests assurance of available parking at the times they choose. We’ve seen similar parking reservation systems work successfully at other resorts in the state. Our goal is to reduce congestion and give guests a variety of options to access the resort.”
– Deirdra Walsh, the vice president, and chief operating officer at PCMR
The plan was initially announced in April 2022, less than a week after Vail Resorts also introduced paid parking to Stowe Resort, VT. Revenue generated by paid parking will be reinvested in the overall transportation experience in the community, including the parking reservation program itself – as well as additional transit, signage, staffing and use of Park City High School as our offsite option.
The new scheme will apply to all surface lots on the Park City side of the resort including the Main, First Time, and Silver King lots. An internal memo in April confirms that paid parking will be in effect seven days a week during the ski season up until 1:00 pm. After 1:00 pm each day, all parking will be free, and no reservation will be required. The Resort Center underground garage will remain paid parking.
According to Vail Resorts, the benefits of paid parking and parking reservations are:
- Increase average vehicle occupancy
- Encourage carpooling/transit alternatives
- Reduce guests circulating for available spaces, creating traffic congestion in and around the base area
- More effectively and efficiently manage incoming traffic and load-in of the base area, making for an improved arrival experience
- Disperse guest arrival times over a longer period, improving parking and lift upload experience for guests
- Provide guests assurances of available parking
Parking at Canyons Village, Park City High School (on weekends and holidays), and High Valley Transit Park-n-Ride locations will remain free.