Conditions are looking prime for a great winter as we enter 2022 at Palisades Tahoe, CA.
December closed out with 211” of total snowfall in the month. That’s 17.5 feet!
Here are a few stats around the snowfall we saw in this most recent storm and to-date, and how it compares to previous seasons:
- The storm total at Palisades Tahoe for this 9-day mega-storm was 124” or more than 10 feet.
- This was the snowiest December on record at the resort (records go back to 1970). This December, Palisades Tahoe received over three feet more snow than the previous snowiest December (Dec 1992 – 172.5”)
- So far, with just the snow received to date (265”), they are nearing their season snowfall total for all of last winter (307”). Just 42” or 3.5 feet of snow is needed to surpass last season’s snowfall total.
- Season snowfall to date is 13+ feet more than they had on this date in 2017 and 2019, which were the last two record-breaking snowfall seasons (2016-17, 2018-19).
- Over the previous five seasons, the resort has ended December with an average upper mountain base of 49-inches. December ended with a base of 126”, which is 2.5x more than that average, or nearly 6.5 feet more. The base is also currently four feet above what their next closest end-of-year base was in the last five years (2017 – 74”).