Brought to you by Grand Targhee Resort
My guest today is Dr. Russ Costa:
- Dr. Russ Costa is a cognitive scientist, skier, and mountaineer who studies why people do dumb shit in the mountains!
- He’s an expert on human attention and performance, he is interested in how distracted, fatigued, or otherwise impaired minds and brains perceive the world, particularly in high-risk, high-consequence environments – especially in the mountains and in avalanche terrain
- Russ loves to chat about decision-making in avalanche terrain, in the mountains in general, and at high altitudes.
- Russ’ research work utilizes a broad range of methodologies, from electroencephalography (EEG) to applied behavioral analysis in the natural environment.
- After two decades of conducting primarily laboratory-based theoretical work on cognition, Russ has moved parts of his research program outside, studying cognition and neuroscience in the mountains.
- His current work examines how hypobaric hypoxia at high altitude affects human attention, decision-making, and error.
- Russ currently teaches a broad slate of courses in the Honors College and in the Neuroscience and Psychology programs at Westminster College in Salt Lake City.
This episode is brought to you by Grand Targhee Resort.
Home to the best snow in Wyoming. Delivering an average of 500 inches of snow annually, you’ll find uncrowded slopes, and a unique Targhee vibe served on the daily.
With good times served daily at Grand Targhee Resort, it’s time to embrace the vibe. Escape the crowds and get back to enjoying skiing and snowboarding the way it was meant to be. From our family-friendly Kids Adventure Zone and uncrowded runs to the wide-open terrain for all abilities, the big mountain feel and Western charm makes Grand Targhee a must-visit winter destination.
With over 20 feet of snowfall to date, heading to the Tetons is a must-do. We invite you to experience and be part of the Targhee Vibe at Grand Targhee Resort!
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #31 – Dr. Russ Costa PhD – Why People Do Dumb Shit in the Mountains!!
Recorded on November 18, 2021, in Park City (Miles Clark) and Salt Lake City, UT (Dr. Russ Costa).
This episode was edited by Jared White
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
- Sounder. FM
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s GNAR, Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier
- Episode #28 | Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska
- Episode #29 | Doug Fish – The Genius Who Created the Indy Pass, the Fastest Growing Multi-Mountain Pass on Earth With Over 80 Ski Resorts
- Episode #30 | Tom Day – Emmy Winning Cinematographer, 38 Years as Warren Miller Director/Filmer/Skier, “Blizzard of Aahhhs” Ski Movie Star, Smoothest Skier on Earth