Brought to you by Ikon Pass:
My guest today is Elyse Saugstad:
- Elyse won the Freeride World Tour in her first year on tour in 2008.
- She won the Freeride World Tour’s “Best Female Line of the Year” in 2009.
- Elyse won Powder Video Awards “Best Female Performance” twice, in 2013 and 2018.
- She was Freeskier Magazine’s “Female Skier of the Year” in 2018.
- Elyse won the IF3 International Freesport Film Festival’s “Best Female Freeride Performance three times in 2014, 2018, and 2019.
- She was nominated for Powder Video Awards’ “Best Female Performance” eight times, in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Elyse was Voted Top 5 Overall in Teton Gravity Research’s Co-Lab contest in a field of over 40 men and was the only female to make it into the final.
- She was even named one of ESPN’s “Top 50 Women in Action Sports” in 2014.
- Elyse has seen a lot in her skiing career, and her perspective on how this industry works is one of a kind.
This episode is brought to you by Ikon Pass:
It all starts now – Ikon Pass is on sale for the 22/23 season. It’s time to keep the stoke alive, seek a season of fun in the mountains, and DO YEWWW across 50 of the best ski destinations in the world. Whether it’s the immediate spring access, hooting and hollering down your favorite runs next season, or connecting with the crew for an afternoon brew, there’s always an adventure for how you ride.
This year – DO YEWWW with an Ikon Pass in hand – whether you’re hunting bluebird days, scoring après scenes, or tearing through cold smoke, however your ride, there’s an adventure waiting for you. Score the best prices on winter 22/23 and get all the early season goods: Upon purchase, Buy Now Ride Now with immediate spring access to 3 mountains, and a total of 10 destinations by April 11. Save up to $200 in child passes with the purchase of an adult pass. 21/22 pass holders can claim up to $100 off in renewal discounts for 22/23. And, pay it all forward with a payment plan as low as $0 down and 0% APR. Claim your pass at IkonPass.com.
For 22/23, Ikon Pass is dialing up the stoke and welcoming 3 new legendary destinations to its family of mountains. Get ready to explore the storied slopes of Chamonix in France, the sun-drenched scenes of Sun Valley in Idaho, and the powder-pillow deep history of Snowbasin in Utah. With so much to explore, it’s time to DO YEWWW. Claim your pass at Ikon Pass.com.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share it with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #37 – Elyse Saugstad – Ski Movie Star, Freeride World Tour Champion, Skier of the Year, 3x Best Line of the Year, In ESPN’s Top 50 Women in Action Sports
Recorded on February 15, 2022, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Tahoe City, CA (Elyse Saugstad).
This episode was edited by Jared White
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
- Sounder. FM
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s GNAR, Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier
- Episode #28 | Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska
- Episode #29 | Doug Fish – The Genius Who Created the Indy Pass, the Fastest Growing Multi-Mountain Pass on Earth With Over 80 Ski Resorts
- Episode #30 | Tom Day – Emmy Winning Cinematographer, 38 Years as Warren Miller Director/Filmer/Skier, “Blizzard of Aahhhs” Ski Movie Star, Smoothest Skier on Earth
- Episode #31 | Dr. Russ Costa PhD – Why People Do Dumb Shit in the Mountains!!
- Episode #32 | Eddie Taylor – Member of “Full Circle Everest” 1st All-Black Team to Attempt 29,032′ Mt. Everest
- Episode #33 | Park City Professional Ski Patrol – Battling Vail Resorts For a Living Wage
- Episode #34 | Julian Carr – 210-Foot World Record Cliff Invert, Pro Freeskier, Discrete Founder, X-Games Gold Medalist, Cirque Series Founder
- Episode #35 | Lel Tone – Alaska Heli-Ski Guide for 23-Years, Winner of National Geographic’s “Ultimate Survival Alaska,” Ski Patroller for 28-Years, Avalanche Professional
- Episode #36 | Scot Schmidt – The Original Freeskier