It’s no secret that the Central Andes of South America have been extremely dry this year.
Some media outlets are reporting that this is the driest year in the Central Andes in 60 years and that it’s only snowed 3 times this year…
The Central Andes have been in drought for the past 10 years.
Central Andes ski resorts that are dry this year:
- Portillo, Chile
- Valle Nevado, Chile
- La Parva, Chile
- El Colorado, Chile
- Ski Arpa, Chile (never opened this year)
- Las Lenas, Argentina
- Los Puquios, Argentina (closed in July for the season)
The Southern Andes are doing much better.
In general, it appears you want to get south of 36ºS latitude if you wanna slide on snow in South America right now.
Cerro Catedral in Bariloche, Argentina is having an above-average snow year (video below).
These Southern Andes ski resorts are doing well this year:
- Cerro Catedral, Argentina
- Chapelco, Argentina
- La Hoya, Argentina
- Cerro Bayo, Argentina
- Cerro Castor, Argentina
- Nevados de Chillan, Chile
- Corralco, Chile
The Argentine peso recently lost 22% of its value – meaning that if you come here with US dollars, everything is 22% off.
The Argentine peso to US dollar was 45 to 1 when we arrived on August 1st, then on August 12th, the peso crashed to 55 to 1.
SOUTHERN ARGENTINA SNOW REPORTS 2019:
- 8/21/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: Legit Patagonian Storm Day
- 8/20/19 – Chapelco, Argentina Report: Fantastico Para Toda La Familia | Fantastic For The Whole Family
- 8/13/19 – Chapelco, Argentina Report: Entregando El Producto | Delivering The Goods
- 8/12/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: Creamy Powder Daze…
- 8/11/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: The Most Beautiful Ski Resort Vistas on Earth
- 8/8/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: Good Snow, Bad Snow, 7-Stitches & A Long Walk Out
- 8/7/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: Mini-Spine Skiing Goodness
- 8/6/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: Bluebird, Sendy Powder Day at Cerro Catedral
- 8/6/19 – Chapelco, Argentina Report: Remolinos De Nieve y Sol Refulgente Conocen Una Empresa Innovadora | Fresh Snow, Flash Sun, And Funky Innovation
- 8/4/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Backcountry Report: Spine Skiing, Air, Long Runs, Powder, and Surprises
- 8/3/19 – Bariloche, Argentina Report: There Is SO Much Snow Here Right Now…