Who’s excited about another ski season? Yes, we know there are some North American resorts with lifts still turning, but if you want real winter, real snowfall, and really freezing temperatures that require more than just a t-shirt for shredding, you need to head south of the equator to South America.
New Zealand is leading the way with lifts turning this weekend, but also counting down to opening day is South America. With just a week to go, Valle Nevado and El Colorado/Farellones, both in Chile are celebrating a good early season snowfall and preparing the lifts for excited riders
Valle Nevado just received over a foot of snow, and with temperatures forecast to stay below freezing and more snow forecast early next week, opening day should be pretty sweet. Ski Portillo, Chile just received over 2-feet during the last storm and are also expecting more snow next week.
Here’s a complete of the current opening dates of South American resorts. Let’s hope for some early season dumps so that these resorts can bring those dates forward!
- El Colorado/Farellones, Chile – nothing confirmed, but usually the first!
- Las Leñas, Argentina – 16th June
- Antillanca, Chile – 16th June
- Lagunillas, Chile – 16th June
- Nevados de Chillán, Chile – 21st June
- Valle Nevada, Chile – 22nd June
- La Parva, Chile – 22nd June
- Corralco, Chile – 22nd June
- Chapelco, Argentina – 23rd June
- Caviahue, Argentina – 23rd June
- Portillo, Chile – 23rd June
- Cerro Bayo, Argentina – 24th June
- Los Penitentes, Argentina – 29th June
- Catedral Alta Patagonia, Argentina – 30th June
- Villarrica – Pucón, Chile – early July