Yes, Steamers Lane is the most Hollywood surf break in the USA. Kinda like Squaw is the most Hollywood ski resort in the USA. Just take a look at these photos. Where else on Earth can you stand this close to professional surfers while they shred a mini skate ramp directly in front of and below you?
Yes, I said professional surfers. Nat Young was out in the water yesterday after I got out. Nat is from Santa Cruz and is currently in 6th place on the Word Championship Tour.
STEAMERS LANE CONDITIONS YESTERDAY AFTERNOON:
– 2-4 foot
– Head high sets (long waits for these sets)
– Not too crowded for Steamers
– Plenty of waves until high tide swamped it around 6pm
Steamers was a blast yesterday, with fun waves at Off the Wall and Middle Peak was working on the bigger sets. The bigger sets were clean with great shape and a fun ramp to work with. I saw a couple guys get barreled on a few head high sets that came through. The bigger waves went a good ways and gave the boys some room to work. Nat Young and some of the groms were throwing 360s and absolutely crushing the lip.
For July 2nd, it was a hell of a day. This time of year is notoriously flat and windy in Nor Cal.
SANTA CRUZ FORECAST:
– The waves are supposed to drop a lot today, then come back up to the 2-4 zone for the long weekend
– Ocean Beach in SF is forecasting 10 ft. waves this weekend…