The ski area within a ski area. A special place to glide down a wide-open bowl, navigate through trees, and descend deep chutes. The Bald Mountain Expansion will increase the skiable terrain by over 380 acres at Sun Valley Resort, Idaho.
When the project is complete, in the Fall of 2020, it will include replacing the resort’s oldest chairlift, Cold Springs (#4), with a new high-speed detachable lift, providing a seamless transition to The Roundhouse restaurant, the Roundhouse Express Gondola, and Christmas (#3) chairlift. For those who prefer groomers and gradual pitches, the Lower Broadway run is being extended, lined with highly efficient snowmaking guns.
Construction began in 2018 with the re-routing and redevelopment of the Cold Springs mountain bike trail, grading of the Lower Broadway run, tree removal, and excavation work. The project continues this summer with additional snowmaking guns placed along Lower Broadway, glading, and terrain enhancement. The installation of utilities and the new chairlift will happen in Summer 2020, with the increased terrain, high-speed detachable lift, and additional snowmaking ready for Winter 2020-21.
- The location is in both USFS and BLM areas.
- The project is completely within the current Sun Valley Ski Area Special Use Permit.
Replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) Chairlift
The main purpose of the project is the replacement of the Cold Springs (#4) chairlift, the oldest lift still operating at the resort.
- The new chairlift will be a detachable lift will have a vertical rise of 1582’ and be 5535’ long.
- It will be seamless ride from the new lower lift terminal to The Roundhouse.
- Lower Broadway (similar width and gradient as existing ski run) will be extended 4,200.’
Increased Skiable Terrain
- Skiable acreage within the Sun Valley Resort boundary will increase from 2,054 acres to 2,434 acres (380 acres) when the project is done.
- Access from the top of Seattle Ridge, where skiers and riders may descend into “Turkey Bowl,” then proceed north for access to extensive tree skiing.
- Increased snowmaking with at least 25 highly-efficient snowmaking guns extending down Lower Broadway to the base of the new Cold Springs lift terminal.
Rerouted and Improved Cold Springs Mountain Bike Trail
- The Cold Springs mountain bike trail was rerouted and improved with more singletrack and shaded riding.
Ready to roll in the Winter 2020-21 season!