Brought to you by 10 Barrel Brewing
Report from January 26, 2021
We went for a stroll in the Lake Tahoe, CA Backcountry today.
The snow was deeper than we expected.
You still hit the firm bottom occasionally, but it was infrequent.
More often than not, it was just deep and light.
We did two laps and watched the clouds build and the wind pick up.
It was cold…
Man, the snow was good.
Lower angle was still the call as higher angle slopes found you hitting the bottom more readily.
By the time we left the wind was ripping on the ridgetops and the high clouds had settled in.
We saw some famous people out there today and they were fun to chat with.
The forecast in Tahoe right now is for 60-90″ of snow in the next 30-days…
We saw some cracking and instability in the wind transported snow at the top of the ridge in the afternoon today.
There were a few fat, hanging, windblown spots off the ridge that looked like they’d slide if you jumped on them.
We didn’t see any signs of avalanches nor instability off the immediate ridgelines.
Tomorrow’s (Jan 27) avalanche danger outlook is for it to be EXTREME after the big storm.
Recent Backcountry Reports:
- 1/23/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep, Dense, Hot, & Crusty
- 1/22/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep & Boney…
- 1/20/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior Extreme Skiing? | 4 Runs on Superior in 5-Days
- 1/19/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s Pinball Alley | Denial, Side-Stepping, Snowplow, French Fries
- 1/17/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior South Face | 2nd Day in a Row
- 1/16/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s South Face in Powder Snow
- 1/14/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Incredible Chute in Punchy, Weird Snow After the Big Rain
- 1/8/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Big Chute Fun, Perfect Snow, Pillows, & Stunning Vistas
- 1/6/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Pillows, Chutes, & Airs in Sublime Powder
- 1/5/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Avy Danger = Minimum Angle + Maximum Wind Lip
- 1/3/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 12″ New Snow, Pillows, Chutes and Slabs
- New Years Day 2021 –Trip Report: Nez Perce, WY – “The Sliver Couloir”
- 12/29/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Fun Chute, Big Smiles, & Great Tree Skiing Powder
- 12/28/20 –Teton Range, WY Report: 4,000-Vertical-Feet of Perfect Bluebird Powder
- 12/27/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Speed Fun in Immaculate Powder Snow
- Xmas 2020 – Teton Range, WY Report: 3,500′ of Christmas Day Powder Fun 🙂
- 12/23/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: 2 Steep Chutes + My Avalanche Decision-Making Processes
- 12/20/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Warm, Wet, Windy, Slabby Skiing
- 12/18/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Great Skiing on Touchy Snow
- 12/12/20 – Beaver Mountain, UT Report: Mini-Powder Day in Paradise
- 12/11/20 – Tetons Range, WY Report: Ugly Skiing in a Gorgeous Chute in Tricky Snow
- 12/10/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Steep Skiing in a Tight Chute in Tough Snow
- 12/9/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Schoodeling in Good Powder Up High
- 12/8/20 – Teton Mts, WY Backcountry Report: South-Faces Aren’t Exactly Corn…
- 12/2/20 – Wasatch Mts, UT Backcountry Report: Suicide Chute on Mt. Superior in Low Tide
- 11/28/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: Good Turns + 3cm Surface Hoar…
- 11/25/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: 6″ of New Snow | Not Bad for November…
- 11/13/20 – Alta, UT Report: Friday The 13th Wind-Buff & I Only Hit 6 Rocks
- 11/12/20 – Alta, UT Report: Deep Dry Powder in Main Chute & I Only Hit 12 Rocks