Brought to you by 10 Barrel Brewing
Report from February 19, 2021
Yesterday was one of the top 10 deepest days we’ve ever skied…
We awoke yesterday morning to reports of 5″ of new snow.
That may have been true, but then it snowed about 2″ per hour for a few hours then mellowed out to only 1″ per hour for a few more hours.
The snow was deep, dry, and exquisite.
At one point you can hear me shout out “this is a life-altering experience.”
We skied 4 runs and every run was crazy deep.
Especially our last 2 runs where we skied protected trees where the snow was stacking up at an insane pace.
At one point, our sluff hit us while we were skiing and it didn’t push us at all.
The snow was just so light and dry and low density that the sluff had no mass.
It just hit us, filtered between our legs and billowed up in the air.
We were blinded by smokey snow frequently yesterday.
The day was just simply bonkers…
I showed up tired and doing a 24-hour fast with the plan of skiing one quick run.
The incredibly deep snow and hammering snowfall energized me in a way I haven’t been energized in a long time.
I ended up finding myself heading back uphill again and again.
Yesterday was a day I won’t soon forget.
2020/21 Backcountry Reports:
- 2/17/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Bluebird Powder Skiing in Deep Snow & Sunshine
- 2/15/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Pillow Poppin’ Deepness…
- 2/14/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 4 Fun Cliff Hucks and 1 Amazing, Wide-Open Run in Perfect Powder
- 2/13/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Faceshots, Backflips, & Really Long Chutes
- 2/12/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 3 Fast, Crazy Fun Chutes in Great Snow & Face-Shots
- 2/10/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: A Really Rad Chute in Really Rough Snow
- 2/8/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 2 Awesome Chutes in Good Snow
- 2/5/21 – Terminal Cancer Couloir, NV Report: A Close Avalanche Call + a Lesson in the Wind
- 1/30/21 – Tahoe, CA Backcountry Report: Deep Powder & Steep Lines Above Lake Tahoe
- 1/26/21 – Tahoe, CA Backcountry Report: Deep, Light, Sunny Powder
- 1/23/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep, Dense, Hot, & Crusty
- 1/22/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep & Boney…
- 1/20/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior Extreme Skiing? | 4 Runs on Superior in 5-Days
- 1/19/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s Pinball Alley | Denial, Side-Stepping, Snowplow, French Fries
- 1/17/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior South Face | 2nd Day in a Row
- 1/16/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s South Face in Powder Snow
- 1/14/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Incredible Chute in Punchy, Weird Snow After the Big Rain
- 1/8/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Big Chute Fun, Perfect Snow, Pillows, & Stunning Vistas
- 1/6/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Pillows, Chutes, & Airs in Sublime Powder
- 1/5/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Avy Danger = Minimum Angle + Maximum Wind Lip
- 1/3/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 12″ New Snow, Pillows, Chutes and Slabs
- New Years Day 2021 –Trip Report: Nez Perce, WY – “The Sliver Couloir”
- 12/29/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Fun Chute, Big Smiles, & Great Tree Skiing Powder
- 12/28/20 –Teton Range, WY Report: 4,000-Vertical-Feet of Perfect Bluebird Powder
- 12/27/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Speed Fun in Immaculate Powder Snow
- Xmas 2020 – Teton Range, WY Report: 3,500′ of Christmas Day Powder Fun 🙂
- 12/23/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: 2 Steep Chutes + My Avalanche Decision-Making Processes
- 12/20/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Warm, Wet, Windy, Slabby Skiing
- 12/18/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Great Skiing on Touchy Snow
- 12/12/20 – Beaver Mountain, UT Report: Mini-Powder Day in Paradise
- 12/11/20 – Tetons Range, WY Report: Ugly Skiing in a Gorgeous Chute in Tricky Snow
- 12/10/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Steep Skiing in a Tight Chute in Tough Snow
- 12/9/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Schoodeling in Good Powder Up High
- 12/8/20 – Teton Mts, WY Backcountry Report: South-Faces Aren’t Exactly Corn…
- 12/2/20 – Wasatch Mts, UT Backcountry Report: Suicide Chute on Mt. Superior in Low Tide
- 11/28/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: Good Turns + 3cm Surface Hoar…
- 11/25/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: 6″ of New Snow | Not Bad for November…
- 11/13/20 – Alta, UT Report: Friday The 13th Wind-Buff & I Only Hit 6 Rocks
- 11/12/20 – Alta, UT Report: Deep Dry Powder in Main Chute & I Only Hit 12 Rocks