Report from January 5, 2022
Today we skied ridiculously deep snow in the Teton Range, WY.
It was the deepest snow I’ve skied in the Tetons.
It was “Holy Sh$%!” deep!
I drove here from Tahoe yesterday on a whim…
I woke up and it was raining in Tahoe so I started driving east not sure of where I’d go.
The forecast was for 3-7″ of snow last night in the Tetons.
Utah had a better forecast.
I somehow picked the Tetons and I got lucky…
Instead of 3-7″ it snowed about 30″…
I skied 3 glorious runs with Owen Leeper and we just couldn’t get over how deep it was…
We did our best to document it, but it was so stormy, snowy, windy, and deep that it wasn’t easy to do.
We had a blast, I’m exhausted and I’ve gotta go to bed.
Tomorrow might literally be too deep…
- 1/2/22: Tahoe Backcountry Report: Another Chute in One of the Most Gorgeous Places on Earth
- 12/29/21: Tahoe Backcountry Report: One of the Deepest Days We’ve Skied in Tahoe…
- 12/28/21: Palisades Tahoe, CA Report: 103″ of Snow in 7-Days…
- 12/27/21: Report: CA Delta → Bear Valley → Road Closed → Delta → Mt. Lassen → Reno → Tahoe in 1-Day…
- 12/23/21: Palisades Tahoe, CA Report: Rain to Snow, Creamy Powder, 58″-88″ of Snow Forecast Next 3-Days
- 12/21/21:Palisades Tahoe, CA Report: 1st Day of the Season on KT-22 Went Off!
- 12/6/21: Revelstoke, BC Report: 60″ snowpack, 174″ of Snowfall Already This Season…
- 12/5/21: Kicking Horse, BC Report: 4,000-Vertical-Feet of Awesome
- 11/12/21: Alta, UT Report: Little Chute with Mandatory Air From the Top
- 11/10/21: Alta, UT Report: 11-Inch Powder Day & Blue Skies!
- 11/9/21: Alta, UT Report: Dark, Ominous, Alone – Main Chute in Powder Snow
- 11/8/21: Alta, UT Report: Booting Up & Skiing Down High Rustler in Scratchy Conditions…
- 11/7/21: The Alta Skiing Journal, Vol. 4: “Soft Snow Stashes in the Castle Apron”
- 11/6/21: Mt. Superior, UT Report: “Suicide Chute” – As Much Rock As Snow Yesterday
- 11/5/21: Alta, UT Report: Tight & Spicy in Little Chute…
- 11/4/21: Alta, UT Report: It’s Amazing How Much Snow Is Up Here Right Now… Gunsight Mini-Pow!
- 11/3/21: Alta, UT Report: Main Chute Top To Bottom on a Gorgeous Day
- 11/2/21: Alta, UT Report: Embarrassed & Humbled on Day #1 in Main Chute Yesterday
- 11/1/21: The Alta Skiing Journal, Vol. 3: “Trick or Treating in the Ballroom”
We did see some instability out there today. 4″ deep small pockets breaking on ski cuts in the morning that ran fast on top of the snow. Up to 12″ deep small pockets that broke on skiing and ran slower and were low density.