Brought to you by Killington Resort & A Golden State
“Fear is very present. Fear’s a great thing, you should definitely listen to it most of the time. But I learned that just because something’s scary, doesn’t mean you can’t do it.”
– Julian Carr
My guest today is Julian Carr:
- Julian is a professional freeskier who regularly hucks 100′ cliffs including two world record cliff jumps to his name
- Julian won the George Mallory Lifetime Achievement Award in 2021
- He won an X-Games gold medal
- Julian came in third in Powder Magazine’s most influential skier poll
- And Julian is a businessman
- Julian founded Discrete clothing in college and it flourished into a very successful brand
- Julian founded the Cirque Series six years ago and it has become a premier mountain running event spanning seven mountain events each summer
- Julian’s latest business, Blake Bronco, is centered around fixing up 1978 and nine Ford Broncos and selling them
- Julian is a fascinating human being who changed the ski industry forever
Learn why Julian’s favorite book is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, his favorite ski movies are High Life (Teton Gravity Research), Global Storming (Matchstick Productions), All.I.Can (Sherpas Cinema), and his favorite place on earth to ski is the Wasatch.
This episode is brought to you by Killington Resort:
Make the most of any spring weekend—head to Killington, the East Coast’s biggest mountain resort. The Beast of the East has everything you need to enjoy a winter getaway—from the best ski and snowboard terrain to one-of-a-kind dining options and fabulous apres-ski experiences. Vacation packages are available now, visit to learn more.
Big mountain skiing and riding meet small mountain charm at Vermont’s Pico Mountain. Ski or ride Pico and save up to 40% off the ticket window rate when you purchase online in advance. Cancellations are always easy too, so save money and skip the line at the ticket window – purchase your tickets today at picomountain.com/tickets.
Take advantage of the longest season in the East with the Killington Spring Pass. Pay just three-hundred and forty-nine dollars for unlimited ski and snowboard access to Killington Resort from March 18th through the end of the 2021-22 season. With Killington’s history of stretching the season into late May, that could be six weeks of prime spring skiing and riding, so grab your Spring Pass today, before prices increase on March 18. Learn more at killington.com.
This episode is brought to you by A Golden State:
Today’s SnowBrains Podcast is brought to you by A Golden State, the California leader in premium cannabis flower. Born in Northern California under the watch of the Cascade Mountains, A Golden State’s plants are hand-watered with snowmelt from Mount Shasta, and sustainably grown in their carbon-neutral, hydroelectric cultivation facility.
What started from humble beginnings, long before the cannabis renaissance, is now California’s highest quality flower. A Golden State’s proprietary, exotic strains are carefully curated for recreation or relaxation, sharing with friends, or unwinding solo. Their artisanal whole flower is available in eighths and pre-rolls at dispensaries across California.
Find the perfect headspace for euphoric enjoyment. A Golden State is not a brand or a place, it’s a state of being.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #34 – Julian Carr – 210-Foot World Record Cliff Invert, Pro Freeskier, Discrete Founder, X-Games Gold Medalist, Cirque Series Founder
Recorded on February 6, 2022, in the Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Jefferson, CO (Julian Carr).
This episode was edited by Jared White
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
- Sounder. FM
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s GNAR, Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier
- Episode #28 | Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska
- Episode #29 | Doug Fish – The Genius Who Created the Indy Pass, the Fastest Growing Multi-Mountain Pass on Earth With Over 80 Ski Resorts
- Episode #30 | Tom Day – Emmy Winning Cinematographer, 38 Years as Warren Miller Director/Filmer/Skier, “Blizzard of Aahhhs” Ski Movie Star, Smoothest Skier on Earth
- Episode #31 | Dr. Russ Costa PhD – Why People Do Dumb Shit in the Mountains!!
- Episode #32 | Eddie Taylor – Member of “Full Circle Everest” 1st All-Black Team to Attempt 29,032′ Mt. Everest
- Episode #33 | Park City Professional Ski Patrol – Battling Vail Resorts For a Living Wage