[this article is sponsored by evo.com]
Top Gun = the Best of the Best. These are the strongest, fastest, tower-buzzingest All-Mountain Skis on the market as decided by the most reputable sources in the industry who put in the energy to test every 2016 All-Mountain Ski out there.
We’ve aggregated the 5 Top Gun All-Mountain Skis of 2016 according to the industry’s highest awards and displayed them here.
These are the Best of the Best. The Top Guns of All-Mountain Skiing.
[Check out the Top Gun Powder Skis of 2016]
– THE AWARD WINNING POWDER SKIS OF 2016 –
SKI: 2016 Nordica Enforcer
AWARD: OnTheSnow.com Editors’ Choice Award
– OnTheSnow.com gave their Editors’ Choice Award to 8 all-mountain skis this year, but the Nordica Enforcer got the highest rating of them all.
– Pick up a pair of Nordica Enforcer at evo.com: 2016 Nordica Enforcer
- Lengths : 169, 177, 185, 193cm
- Turning Radius: 18.5m (@ 185cm)
- Sidecut: 133 – 100 – 121mm (@ 185cm)
What OnTheSnow.com had to say about the 2016 Nordica Enforcer:
What do you get when you combine World Cup technology, a full wood core, two sheets of metal and a small amount of tip and tail rocker? “Easy to ski and plenty of performance,” according to Stoeger. Nordica’s Enforcer impressed testers with its tight 17-meter turning radius, even with its broad 100-mm waist. Many called it a wide, one-ski quiver and awarded it high scores across the board, not to mention dubbing it the most versatile of all the men’s AMB skis. “This ski is good for skiers who like quick, high-energy rebound from their high-performing ski,” says Witman.
Ski: 2016 Fischer Ranger 98 Ti
AWARD: Freeskier Magazine Editors’ Pick Award
– Freeskier Magazine gave 11 all-mountain skis the “Editors’ Pick Award”, but the Fischer Ranger 98 Ti out ranked them all.
– Pick up a pair of Fischer Ranger 98 Ti at evo.com: 2016 Fischer Ranger 98 Ti
- Lengths : 172, 180, 188cm
- Turning Radius: 18m (188cm)
- Sidecut: 132-98-122mm (188cm)
What Freeskier had to say about the 2016 Ficsher Ranger 98 Ti:
Testers celebrate the all-new Fischer Ranger 98 Ti Skis as a powerful tool in an ultra-light package. This ski employs a milled wood core to shed some lbs. Carbon fiber in the tips provides lightweight strengthening, while titanial inserts underfoot bolster torsional rigidity, yielding a smooth ride at high speeds.
“These bad boys are so quick and light,” claimed one tester. “Slam it down and hold on, these things just wanna rip.”
– Freeskier Magazine
SKI: 2016 Armada Invictus 95 Ti
AWARD: Skiing Magazine Testers’ Choice Award
– Skiing Magazine ranked a plethora of all-mountain skis this year but their highest ranking went to the Armada Invictus 95 Ti.
– Pick up a pair of Armada Invictus 95 Ti at evo.com: 2016 Armada Invictus 95 Ti
- Lengths : 167, 176, 185cm
- Turning Radius: 20m (@ 185cm)
- Sidecut: 133 – 95 – 123mm (@ 185cm)
What Skiing Magazine had to say about the 2016 Armada Invictus 95 Ti:
That “Ti” stands for Titanium, a popular metal found in most skis, and in the case of the Invictus, it made the ski. “A nice step up from the version without metal,” said one tester. “Nicely balanced with enough beef and bite.” Testers found the ski railed arcs on groomers and never chattered, even at high speed. The Invictus also proved adept in the trees, shimmying through tight spots, and it displayed plenty of quickness in the bumps. NOTES :A new ski from Armada, the Invictus 95Ti is designed for groomers and general all mountain skiing. It has a 95 mm waist that isn’t too fat for a normal days or too slim for a powder day, and Titanal integrated for smooth turns without chatter and other vibrations. For something similar but wider, check out the Invictus 108Ti. For something nearly identical yet softer, check out the Invictus 95. And for something similar but skinnier, check out the Invictus 89Ti. The Invictus series includes a plethora of skis designed for big turns and high speeds all over the mountain. AR50 sidewalls are intended to decrease swing weight, Hybrid Double Zone Cores full of extra hard-wood laminates are designed for stabilization, AR Nose Rocker technology is designed to let the tips float over anything outside of the groomers, Comp Bases are made of Armada’s fastest base material for top speeds, CK Stringers (strips of Carbon and Kevlar) are designed to give the ski pop, Laminate Matrix integrates fiberglass layered for an optimal flex pattern, and 2.2 edges (one of Armada’s thickest) are intended to handle beat downs all season. Invictus is also Latin for unconquered, which is pretty darn badass. Armada, founded in 2002, is based out of Costa Mesa, California.
– Skiing Magazine
SKI: 2016 Black Crows Atris
AWARD: Powder Magazine Skier’s Choice Award
– Powder Magazine doesn’t rank their awarded Powder Skis… We chose the Black Crows Atris from their 33 powder skis given the Skier’s Choice Award because this ski is from a small brand based in Chamonix valley that rocks.
– Pick up a pair of Black Crows Atris 110 at evo.com: 2016 Black Crows Atris
- Lengths : 178, 184, 190cm
- Turning Radius: 18 (@ 184cm)
- Sidecut: 138 – 108 – 128mm (@ 184cm)
What Powder Magazine had to say about the 2016 Black Crows Atris:
The Atris is the do-it-all ski from Black Crows’ lineup, and it definitely surprised me with the amount of stability it had considering its freestyle shape. With “double beak’’ camber and poplar wood core, the Atris balances a maneuverable feel while keeping the edges on the snow when needed. This was not more evident when I was charging down 17 Green underneath the Challenger lift at Big Sky and remained glued to the variable snow conditions with a ski shorter than I usually run. A word of caution as most of the industry right now is sizing up due to rocker shape and more sidecut, but size down on this one. The Atris is burlier than expected and sizing longer can kill the nimbleness and versatility in the turn shape.– Walter Phillips/Powder Magazine
SKI: Dynastar Cham 97 2.0
AWARD: Backcountry Magazine Editors’ Choice Award
– We chose the 2016 Dynastar Cham 97 2.0 from the 6 all-mountain skis that received Backcountry Magazine’s Editors’ Choice Award because we’re confident that this one is the best. People who actually live in Cham, swear by this ski.
– Pick up a pair of Dynastar Cham 97 2.0 at evo.com: 2016 Dynastar Cham 97 2.0
- Lengths: 166, 172, 178, 184cm
- Dimensions: 137/197/113mm (@ 184cm)
- Turning Radius: 15 (184cm)
- Weight/Pair: 7lbs, 8oz (@ 178cm)
What Backcountry Magazine had to say about the 2016 Dynastar Cham 97 2.0:
Bottom Line: The Cham line is better than ever, headlined by this springy ski that maintains stability. – Backcountry Magazine