[this article is sponsored by evo.com]
Top Gun = the Best of the Best. These are the biggest, baddest, burliest Powder Skis on the market as decided by the most reputable sources in the industry who put in the energy to test every 2015 powder ski out there.
We’ve aggregated the 5 Top Gun Powder Skis of 2015 according to the industry’s highest awards and displayed them here.
These are the Best of the Best. The Top Guns of Powder Skiing.
– THE AWARD WINNING POWDER SKIS OF 2016 –
SKI: 2016 Blizzard Bodacious
AWARD: OnTheSnow.com Editors’ Choice Award
– OnTheSnow.com gave their Editors’ Choice Award to 17 powder skis this year, but the Blizzard Bodacious got the highest rating of them all.
– Pick up a pair of Blizzard Bodacious at evo.com: 2016 Blizzard Bodacious
- Lengths : 177, 185, 193cm
- Turning Radius: 27m (@ 185cm)
- Sidecut: 138-118-127mm (@ 185cm)
What OnTheSnow.com had to say about the 2016 Blizzard Bodacious:
“This model of the Bodacious is easier to ski and control than past iterations,” says Witman [ski tester]. “You don’t have to be 100 percent charging on this ski—it’s quick, fun and powerful.” For 2015/16, Blizzard further developed Flipcore technology, which adds rocker by “flipping” the core upside down during manufacturing. Carbon Flipcore adds carbon fiber into the rockered tip and tail of the ski, designed to lessen swing weight and improve flotation. Accordingly, testers recorded high scores in stability and float for the 118-mm-waisted ski. Along with carbon, the Bodacious has full sandwich compound sidewalls, a titanium binding interface and a poplar/bamboo core. “This no-surprise powder ski is nimble, energetic and very stable,” says Smid [ski tester]. – OnTheSnow.com
Ski: 2016 Rossignol Super 7
AWARD: Freeskier Magazine Editors’ Pick Award
– Freeskiing Magazine gave 12 powder skis the “Editors’ Pick Award”, but the Armada Norwalk out ranked the rest.
– Pick up a pair of Rossi Super 7s at evo.com: 2016 Rossignol Super 7
- Lengths : 172, 180, 188cm
- Turning Radius: 20m (188cm)
- Sidecut: 140-116-130mm (188cm)
What Freeskier had to say about the 2016 Rossignol Super 7:
The Rossignol Super 7 Skis do it all. “Carves on groomers, stable at speed, schmears, rocks in the pow… it handled all conditions I encountered on an epic Ajax T2B,” said one tester about the Super 7. Tip and tail rocker provides serious float in the deep stuff. Its Air Tip technology — an ABS resin, honeycomb-shaped skeleton — makes for a super-lightweight package. A paulownia core ups the playfulness factor, and a bit of camber ensures you’ll be in full control when you’re railing. “They like to charge and the softness makes them very playful. No chatter at speed.” This is a versatile, forgiving package for the everyday ripper. – Freeskier Magazine
SKI: 2016 Nordica Enforcer
AWARD: Skiing Magazine’s Powder “Ski of the Year”
– Skiing Magazine’s Powder “Ski of the Year” award was given to the Nordica Enforcer.
– Pick up a pair of Nordica Enforcer at evo.com: 2016 Nordica Enforcer
- Lengths : 169, 177, 185cm
- Turning Radius: 18.5m (@ 185cm)
- Sidecut: 133 – 100 – 121mm (@ 185cm)
What Skiing Magazine had to say about the 2016 Nordica Enforcer:
Rarely is a ski such an overwhelming favorite among testers, but the Nordica absolutely crushed this category. It truly has no weaknesses, and is able to slay turns with precision and dampness on groomers, playfully bounce through bumps, slide and shimmy through trees, and, thanks to a fat, 130-millimeter tip, even levitate in powder and crud. “A race ski you can bring into the backcountry,” said one tester. “My soul mate” gushed another. – Skiing Magazine
SKI: 2016 Salomon Rocker 122
AWARD: Powder Magazine Skier’s Choice Award
– Powder Magazine doesn’t rank their awarded Powder Skis. We chose the Salomon Rocker 122 from their 19 powder skis given the Skier’s Choice Award because we saw some insane things happen on these things in Japan last winter.
– Pick up a pair of Salomon Rocker 122 at evo.com: 2016 Salomon Rocker 122
- Lengths : 172, 180, 184, 192cm
- Turning Radius: 26
- Sidecut: 144 – 122 – 132mm
What Powder Magazine had to say about the Salomon Rocker 122:
“I strapped these bad boys to my back and trekked out to Third Fork in the Headwaters in search of freshies. I knew just by looking at them they were made for the deep. The sizes jump up pretty quickly in this ski, and the 184 was the longest I had been on since my collegiate race days. Two turns in the Rocker2 erased my worries. They kept me afloat with ease, and the honeycomb tip and tail allowed for some sweet smear-ability. The full wood core bends nicely, but doesn’t fold in half. The twin rocker and 122 millimeters underfoot allow for longer-length skiing (as in, don’t be worried to shred a longer ski). When your alarm clock is patrol launching bombs, grab the Rocker2’s for a blower day.” – Hannah Victory/Powder Magazine
SKI: Dynafit Hokkaido
AWARD: Backcountry Magazine’s Editors’ Choice Award
– The biggest, baddest ski that received Backcountry Magazine’s Editors’ Choice Award.
– Pick up a pair of Dynafit Hokkaidos at evo.com: 2016 Dynafit Hokkaido
- Lengths: 176, 182, 189cm
- Dimensions: 142/118/131mm (@ 189cm)
- Radius: 28m (@ 189cm)
- Weight/Pair: 2200g. (@ 189cm)
What Backcountry Magazine had to say about the 2016 Dynafit Hokkaido:
Bottom Line: A powder-focused play-boat for touring on the deepest days. – Backcountry Magazine