Ski areas like Valle Nevado in Chile, and Las Lenas in Argentina are seeing some pretty big dumps as the 2018 ski season there is about to get going. Chile’s El Colorado is one of the first to turn lifts. The resort is celebrating its 70th season this year and is already reporting a base of 24″.
The fresh snow just keeps dumping at Valle Nevado. More than 3 feet since Saturday, and it is forecast to continue. Even downtown Santiago got a dusting of the white stuff — which is almost unheard of but very welcome to most kids who got to stay home today! The season is already looking very, very good. One of the world’s youngest major ski resorts, it is celebrating its 30th anniversary this season.
It’s not just Chile, Argentina is getting in on the action too. Las Lenas has also had repeated heavy snow storms.
Most of the continent’s other ski areas are sticking to their projected opening dates – in most cases either this weekend or the weekend after (on the 23rd). Here is a look at opening dates for the South American ski resorts from powderquest.com.
Opening Dates for Chile Ski Resorts
- El Colorado: OPENED JUNE 8 (partial opening with more terrain opening through this week)
- La Parva: June 15, 2018, CONFIRMED
- Valle Nevado: June 22, 2018
- Portillo: June 23, 2018, CONFIRMED
- Nevados de Chillan: June 21, 2018
- Corralco: June 15, 2018, CONFIRMED
- Arpa Catskiing: TBA
- Pucon: early July, 2018 TBA
- Antillanca: June 16, 2018
Opening Dates for Argentina Ski Resorts
- Las Lenas: June 16, 2018, CONFIRMED
- Chapelco: June 23, 2018
- Cerro Bayo: June 24, 2018
- Catedral Alta Patagonia: June 30, 2018
- La Hoya: July 1, 2018
- Cerro Castor: June 22, 2018