Report from November 16, 2023
It was pissing rain at my house all night last night and into this morning.
The forecast was for snow up high and rain down low.
My strategy was this:
- Try to hit Alta as late as possible and hope for some clearing and that the wind would woosh through the canyon and buff out Main Chute to a fine polished finish
I ended up wrong on both fronts!
It never cleared up.
The snow was too dense to be moved much by the wind.
It was raining in the parking lot when I arrived at Alta around noon.
After the 2,400-vertical-foot climb, I was the 6th person down Main Chute and that gutter was pure spongy powder bliss.
6″ of new snow graced Main Chute.
This was my 6th time down Main Chute in my 11 days of skiing this month and by far the best.
- [VIDEO] “Spicy” Entrance Into Main Chute Leads to Chalky Snow on 11,000′ Mt. Baldy at Alta, UT – Ski Day #282
- [VIDEO] “Nasty, Sketchy” Entrance to Main Chute on 11,000′ Mt. Baldy at Alta, UT Right Now… | Ski Day #279
- Alta, UT Report: “Icy, Rocky, Sh**ty, & Sketchy” | I’m Done with Main Chute on 11,000′ Mt. Baldy for Now – Ski Day #277
- Alta, UT Report: “The Dirty Entry Rainbow” | 2nd Day in a Row Down Main Chute on 11,000′ Mt. Baldy at Alta, UT – Ski Day #275
- Alta, UT Report: Spicy Main Chute in Fun Low Snow Conditions – Ski Day #274
Main has been scratchy, dirty, rocky, nasty, and chalky at best.
Today was spongy with some truly decent flow.
I had my best time down Main Chute this month at just over 1 minute.
My worst time this month was around 2 hours and 15 minutes…
It was gorgeous today skinning and post-holing up 11,000′ Mt. Baldy in the wind, snow, sleet, rain, and fog.
It felt like winter…
Today was ski day #284 of my “300” project.
Ski resorts open tomorrow in Utah and I think I’m gonna take a break tomorrow and ride some chairlifts in Park City to avoid the long drive to Alta and rest these legs a little.