It’s a powder weekend in the PNW. Mt. Bachelor got 20” of snow this week, Timberline got 17”, Crystal got 14”, & Whistler got 4”. And it’s been cold up there. It’s been a solid powder week for the Pacific Northwest.
Although it’s sad to see 5 ski resorts close this weekend, it’s awesome that a ski resort is opening this weekend. Yep, Beartooth Basin in Montana/Wyoming will open on Sunday, May 26th for their 51st summer ski season. Aspen Mountain also reopens this weekend, which is very cool. Oh, and the Jackson Hole Tram opens tomorrow and you can ski from it and there is a lot of snow up there.
So, we lose Whistler, Snowbird, Mammoth, Killington & Mt. Bachelor this weekend but we gain Beartooth. Not bad considering it’s basically June.
CLOSING DATES FOR SKI RESORTS IN N. AMERICA:
– Timberline, OR = September
– Beartooth Basin, MT/WY = July 13thish
– Crystal Mountain, WA = June 16th (weekends only)
– Arapahoe Basin, CO = June 2nd
– Mammoth, CA = May 27th
– Snowbird, UT = May 27th (weekend only)
– Mt. Bachelor, OR = May 27th
– Whistler, B.C. = May 27th (glacier skiing opens June 22nd – July 28th)
– Aspen Mountain, CO = May 27th (re-opened for this weekend only)
– Killington, VT = May 26 (weekends only)
– Jackson Hole Tram = May 25th until the snow runs out…
It’s been an incredibly snowy spring in the west this year with Colorado, Utah, and the PNW getting big snow very late in the season. Although many of us can only remember the dry times, there is certainly something to celebrate this spring: snow. And the opening of Beartooth is pretty cool, too. And we love that the Jackson Hole tram just opened and there’s snow…