Wildfire on Aspen Mountain, CO, Caused by Cigarette Thrown From Gondola

Firebrains | FireFire
aspen snowmass, colorado,
Credit: Aspen Snowmass Facebook

A wildfire on Saturday 9th July 2022, on the Ridge of Bell on Aspen Mountain, CO, was “potentially from a cigarette butt that was thrown from the gondola,” a press release from the resort states.

Thankfully the fire was quickly extinguished.

“Aspen Patrol summer rangers responded to reports of smoke and the fire was quickly extinguished. The White River National Forest Service was also notified.”

– Press Release

The press release went on to stress the “real and present threat” of wildfires and the importance of fire safety.

“Locals and guests alike are encouraged to smoke away from flammable terrain and always dispose of cigarettes in fire-safe containers, and ensure that any open flame is fully extinguished. Nothing should ever be thrown out of the gondola windows.”

– Press Release

aspen mountain, colorado, summer map
Aspen Mountain summer trail map.

Related Articles

One thought on “Wildfire on Aspen Mountain, CO, Caused by Cigarette Thrown From Gondola

  1. All lifts should be declared no smoking zones with local ordnances enforcing same

Got an opinion? Let us know...