Backcountry Access and the American Avalanche Association are pleased to announce that they are again coming together to present a scholarship program for female-identifying avalanche professionals. The $1,500 per-candidate scholarships will provide tuition support for women taking their Professional Level 1 or Professional Level 2 Avalanche Courses in the US. The program seeks to further the representation of women in a field where they have been historically underrepresented.
“Last year’s scholarship program was a huge success, and we were eager to continue partnering with BCA to support women in the avalanche industry again this winter. Cost is typically one of the main barriers to the industry and to continued education. These scholarships are one way in which we can help minimize that barrier.”
– Jayne Nolan, Executive Director of the American Avalanche Association
A3 and BCA hope that by continuing to support this initiative, they will be helping those who would otherwise struggle to pursue a career in this field.
One of last year’s recipients, Katy Lanfri, explains the importance of financial aid: “Beyond technical skills, this scholarship allowed me to plug into a new community of peers, each with their unique backgrounds and experience. Most notably, I was incredibly fortunate to have a female instructor and several dedicated female peers in my course with similar career aspirations. These connections and mentorship opportunities will remain invaluable throughout my professional development.”
The following are the six current Pro Training Course Providers and scholarship recipients will be able to apply the $1,500 to the school of their choice:
- Alaska Avalanche School
- American Avalanche Institute
- American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE)
- Colorado Mountain College
- National Avalanche School
- Silverton Avalanche School
- Recipient must be a current Affiliate or Professional Member of the American Avalanche Association (A3).
- Recipient must utilize scholarship for Pro 1 or Pro 2 Course with an Approved A3 Provider.
- Scholarship must be utilized during the 2023-2024 winter season.
- Recipients must submit a Course Completion Certificate after completing their course. Upon receiving it, they will receive a reimbursement check for tuition.
- Scholarship cannot be used for travel or other related expenses.
- Scholarship recipients must provide a headshot and bio to A3/BCA and a follow-up quote and photo for use in BCA and A3 promotional materials.
Please fill out the submission form found here.
Applications are DUE by December 15, 2023.
Please get in touch with Jayne Nolan at Jayne@avalanche.org with any questions regarding the application process or scholarship.