Report from October 8, 2023
We awoke in Puerta Rio Tranquila, Chile on Sunday.
Our goal was the legendary marble caves of Lake General Carrera, Chile – the 2nd largest lake in South America.
The only marble caves on earth on the water.
Day #5 Details:
- Miles Driven: 150
- Total Miles Driven: 865
- Hours of Driving: 4.5
- Latitude: 46.6ºS → 46.5ºS
- Good Food Eaten: Costanera in Puerto Guadal – Cazuela | Brew Rico in Perito Moreno – Gnocchi (OK), burger and fries good
- Lodging: KAU hostel – very basic
The lake water erodes the marble at a rate of 1mm every 100 years.
We planned on kayaking the caves but the weather was too rough.
Instead, we took a speedboat and had a blast.
These marble caves are psychedelic and mesmerizing…
The drive along General Carrera Lake to Perito Moreno, Chile was gorgeous.
We ate terrific Cazuel (the national dish of Chile) in Puerto Guadal, Chile along the lakeshore.
We found good food in Perito Moreno at Brew Rico.
We stayed at the KAU hostel, which was very basic, but clean with comfy beds, and Mauro, the owner, is a sweetheart and photographic genius who has helped form some of the epic national parks in the region.
The next day we got up and out early and drove to El Chalten, Chile for some epic ski adventures in some of the most gorgeous and intimidating terrain on Earth.
Feeling very grateful.
3,600-Mile Patagonia to Antarctica
Road/Boat Trip 2023
- Day #1 = Bariloche to Skiing La Hoya in Esquel, Argentina
- Day #2 = Esquel, ARG to Puyuhuapi, Chile | Flipping Our Raft in Class IV Rapids
- Day #3 = Puyuhuapi, Chile to Coyhaique Chile | Jungle Hike to Hanging Glacier Waterfall
- Day #4 = Coyhaique, Chile → Puerta Rio Tranquila, Chile | Skiing El Fraile & The Ripping Winds of Cerro Castillo