As we move into a new year and a new decade, 2020 looks like it’s going to hold some great competitions, athletes, and projects. Keep your eyes open in the coming months of the season for these exciting moments!
- FWT20: The 2020 Freeriding World Tour will begin on January 18th in Hakuba, Japan and then continue spanning across three continents, finishing at the beginning of April to crown the top male and female freeriding skiers and snowboarders of the world. This year’s anticipated top athletes include Ariana Tricomi for women’s skiing, Andrew Pollard and Tanner Hall for men’s skiing, Marion Haerty for women’s snowboarding, and Victor De Le Rue for men’s snowboarding.
- X Games Aspen 2020: The X Games will take place from January 23rd to 26th in an incredible show of skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and snow biking, accompanied by legendary musical guests Alesso, Bazzi, ILLENIUM, and Rae Sremmurd.
- FIS Alpine Ski World Cup 2020: It’s a new ballpark for this year’s FIS skiing racing season after the retirement of both Marcel Hirscher and Lindsey Vonn in 2019, leaving room for a new reigning man and woman to take over the community. For the ladies, we can expect Mikaela Shiffrin to easily fill this role, and for the men, Alexis Pinturault and Dominik Paris are likely to rise to the top.
- Some of the other biggest competitions upcoming this year include the Audi Nines in January and the Burton US Open at the end of February, both of which should bring in some of the best slopestyle and freestyle creativity that we’ll see all year.
- Cody Townsend is moving into the second season of his monumental project “The Fifty“, his take on attempting to ski the Fifty Classic Ski Descents of North America, all without the help of helicopters or snowmobiles. Follow him along on Youtube or Instagram to keep up with where he is in “The Fifty”.
- Of course, we can expect the annual Teton Gravity Research ski movie for 2020; however, no details have been released yet, but it has been confirmed that there will also be a TGR mountain biking film coming out in the Spring of 2020.
- A hot item to watch for 2020 is Armada’s recently released “edgeless” skis, specifically designed for use on rails and street skiing. The BDog Edgeless skis have been well-reviewed so far and may spark a new trend for edgeless park skis this year.
We can’t wait to see how the 2020 season turns out as we move into the next decade of skiing and snowboarding, bringing even more daring tricks and skills! Check out these links if you feel like looking back on the last year and decade of news before jumping into a whole new year of awesome: