Minnesota ski resort, Spirit Mt. announced at the beginning of this year that they will allow downhill mountain bikers with fat bikes to access the lifts. This will begin next Sunday (January 17, 2016) and run every Sunday from 10AM til 4PM.
- Minimum tire width of 3.5in
- Helmet required
- Brakes on both wheels required
- A seat/ seatpost inspection required prior to boarding the chairlift
- All tickets, inspections, and parking are found at the Grand Avenue Chalet (8551 Grand Ave, Duluth MN.)
- Terrain will open for bikers based on snow pack and conditions
- Trails planned to be open are: Timber Cruiser and Juggalo Joe as well as the mt. bike trails such as Candy Land, Happy Camper and Lower Calculated Risk
- 2016 mountain bike pass
- Valid 15/ 16 winter season pass
- Walk up tickets are $48
- Pre-order tickets for only $39 from here.
- Note: Rider spots are limited per day so definitely pre-order your ticket for ease of mind and ease of wallet.
I love how the fat bike movement is still gaining momentum throughout the states. Other ski resorts such as Grand Targhee offer a similar lift serve winter fat biking program. It will be amazing to see how many other resorts jump on the band wagon as means of increasing revenues on hill through a completely untapped market and a demographic that is just itching to roll their rubber downhill any time of year.