Drivers are advised by the State of Colorado of new Interstate 70 winter traction law in effect between towns, Dotsero to Morrison.
Signed by Gov. Polis in May and enacted August 1, 2019, the law applies September 1 thru May 31, regardless of weather condition.
Legal language details:
- Private vehicles not fitting four or all-wheel drive classification must equip at all times either snow tires or traction device such as tire socks or chains.
- Commercial vehicles like semi-trucks to carry chains.
- Increase to three-sixteenths inch minimum tire tread requirement.
- Colorado Department of Transportation and State Patrol are to advise on inspection checkpoints as well as enforcement.
Officials affirm public safety continues to be Colorado’s primary focus and reminds, regardless of geographic location or calendar period, vehicles in zones of inclement weather are urged to remain weather-smart by:
- Topping up the fuel tank
- Carry roadside safety/snow removal gear
- Extra water
- Pack extra warm clothing
- and always drive to conditions