Twice in the last three years, Wild Mountain in Minnesota has been the first ski resort in North America to open for the season. If a post they shared to Instagram on Friday is anything to go by, they’re hoping for the same again this year.
“5 weeks from today? Hmmmm. Hard to say. Buuuuuut, temps go into the 40s next week… so that’s something…”
– Wild Mountain, September 8th, 2023
The last few years have seen them open on October 18th, 2022, November 15th, 2021, October 19th, 2020, October 29th, 2019, and October 21st, 2018. The earliest the resort has ever opened is October 7th, in 2012.
The first resorts to open over the last 15 years or so are:
- 22/23: Wild Mountain, Minnesota – October 18th
- 21/22: Wolf Creek, Colorado – October 16th
- 20/21: Wild Mountain, Minnesota – October 19th
- 19/20: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 11th
- 18/19: Wolf Creek, Colorado – October 13th
- 17/18: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 13th
- 16/17: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 21st
- 15/16: Killington, Vermont – October 18th
- 14/15: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 17th
- 13/14: Arapahoe Basin, Colorado – October 13th
- 12/13: Wild Mountain, Minnesota – October 18th
- 11/12: Wolf Creek, Colorado – October 11th
- 10/11: Sunday River, Maine – October 23rd
- 09/10: Loveland, Colorado – October 6th
- 08/09: Loveland, Colorado – October 7th
So who do you think it’s going to be? Who’s your money on? Let us know…
Wild Mountain is a ski and snowboard area in Amador Township, Chisago County, near Taylors Falls, Minnesota. It features 26 runs, including four terrain parks, including jumps, rails, boxes, quarter-pipes, and half-pipes, both man-made and natural. During the summer months of June, July, and August, a water park, an alpine slide, and a go-kart track become operational. The site is also the first ski and snowboard resort in the Midwest to open every year, which is usually broadcast on the local news networks.