video of the 2012 Big Wave Challenge at Mt. Bachelor, OR
Gerry Lopez, aka Mr. Pipeline, found a love for snowboarding after his big pro surfer days. He moved to Bend, Oregon and made Mt. Bachelor his home mountain. Each year, he throws a unique snowboarding competition at Bachelor that he calls “The Big Wave Challenge.” If you’re in Oregon on April 25th, you’ll want to come out and check this event out.
BIG WAVE CHALLENGE PRESS RELEASE:
Mt Bachelor holds this one-of-a-kind event inspired by none other than legendary surfer and Mt. Bachelor Ambassador, Gerry Lopez – who is our event host!
This snowboard only event on Saturday, April 25, 2015 features a series of huge sweeping banked corners, quarter pipes and spines that are shaped into wave-like features for a flowing course bringing the surf to the mountain.
Riders will be judged on the same elements as a Big Wave surf competition: control, speed and power. Each person will receive a minimum of one run with judging based on a 10 point scale (including decimals) from a designated judge for a total of seven named “wave” features and winners decided on the best single run score.
If time allows, all competitors will receive a second run with the best single run score counting toward their final score. Tie-breakers will be decided by the best second run score.
If time does not allow for all competitors to receive a second run and if there are any ties after the first run, those with tied scores will go into a “surf off” with a second run final to decide the winners.
Additional prizes awarded for best surf style, best wipeout, most original run/line, and most Aloha spirit as well as the oldest and youngest competitors.
Additional Event Details
- Competitor entry fee to benefit Pat Malendowski
- Participation is limited to the first 145 entrant. Registration is full.
- More than $25,000 in prizes! Open division winners take home a custom Gerry Lopez surfboard, one week at the Volcom Pipe House, and a trip to the Billabong Pipe Masters in Oahu!
- The Big Wave Challenge will be accompanied by a Luau with traditional luau cuisine along with live music featuring Bend’s local Hawaiian musician, Bill Keale. Spread the aloha love and come dressed in luau attire!!
- Other amazing prizes offered in the raffle following the awards ceremony!
- “Kane” (Men’s open division)
- “Wahine” (Women’s open division)
- “Keiki” (Groms 16 & under division)
- “Makule” (40 & over division)
- Pro-surfer division (exhibition only)
Schedule (Subject to change)
- 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. – Pre-registration check in and Bib collection at West Village Lodge (lower level) Bibs must be collected promptly before 9:00 a.m.
- 9:30 to 10:00 a.m. – Rider’s Meeting at the top of the course
- 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Big Wave Challenge – two runs per competitor
- 12:00 to 2:30 p.m. – Luau with Hawaiian-themed cuisine while supplies last, with BBQ and the Snow Lounge
- 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. – Live Music with Bill Keale
- Approx. 3:00 p.m. – Awards ceremony and raffle