This episode is brought to you by Ikon Pass
In October 2020, we proudly announced the launch of “The SnowBrains Podcast.“
The SnowBrains Podcast has already broken into the top 17% of all podcasts, and we’re honored and humbled.
In this episode, Jeremy & Miles discuss big mountain snowboarding, switching from helicopters to human-powered snowboarding, Alaska, founding Jones Snowboards, founding Protect Our Winters, “Deeper, Higher, Further” movie project, that insane Himalayan spine he rode, surfing, getting caught in avalanches, and more.
This week’s guest requires no introduction – but here we go anyway. Jeremy Jones is widely regarded as one of the best big mountain snowboarders on Earth. Ever. He was voted “Best Big Mountain Rider of the Year” by Snowboarder Magazine ten times, and he’s starred in over fifty snowboard movies worldwide, including his own award-winning movie series that started in 2010, “Deeper, Further, Higher.” Jeremy was nominated for National Geographic’s “Adventurer of the Year” in 2013. ESPN ranked him #12 in their “50 Most Influential People in Action Sports”. Jeremy is the founder and CEO of Jones Snowboards and also founded Protect Our Winters – a non-profit formed to unite the winter sports community against climate change. Jeremy was recognized as a Champion of Change by President Barack Obama. Jeremy has appeared frequently in worldwide media, including CNN, Outside Magazine and TV, Men’s Journal, ESPN, Fox News, NBC, MTV, and National Geographic, and now, SnowBrains, hehe.
“I’ve got a lot going on, I’m running a business, I cant spend my time trying to win over haters. And so I do not look at comments on Instagram. Apologies to any thoughtful discussion that I miss out on. And that is due to the excessive, aggressive, trolling. Some of it professional trolls. You know the downside of that is that meaningful person and I do feel bad about that… My intentions are pure, they are backed by science. I’m fighting for clean air, clean water, and a healthy planet for future generations. How that makes me the worst person in the world in some people’s eyes? I don’t know. It is what it is and I refuse to let them alter my views or get to me… I feel deep down in my soul that we are on the wrong path, and this is what I really care about. I’m going to put that on Social Media. To not do that because I’m worried about a bad comment? I couldn’t look myself in the mirror and I sure as shit couldn’t look at my kids in the eye if I did that.”
– Jeremy Jones on The SnowBrains Podcast
Jeremy Jones answers these potent questions:
- Why did you start Protect Our Winters?
- Why did you start Jones Snowboards?
- How has Alaska developed you?
- What does your snowboarding look like now that you’ve made this change to human-powered snowboarding?
- How did you find that burly Himalayan spine you rode in “Further”?
- Have you ever been in an avalanche? What happened?
- What’s your biggest accomplishment in life?
- What challenges you most intellectually on a daily basis?
- What’s your favorite book or books?
This episode is brought to you by Ikon Pass:
A brand-new season unlocked, the promise of adventures ahead, and endless stoke on the horizon. Now on sale, own it all with Ikon Pass.
With pass options starting at only $399, adult – and exclusive spring savings – there’s an adventure for every type of rider, both new to the mountain and longtime shredder.
Lock in the 21/22 season with:
• up to $200 savings on child passes
• up to $100 in renewal discounts
• and a new payment plan from as low as 0 dollars down and 0 percent APR
From the second you score your pass, you’ve got an entire season of sweet stuff to look forward to.
Explore pass options at IkonPass.com.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 20% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12 | Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13 | Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14 | Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15 | Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16 | 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17 – Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
This episode is brought to you by Ikon Pass
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
The SnowBrains Podcast | Episode #18 | Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards.
Recorded on January 20, 2020, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Truckee, CA (Jeremy Jones)
This episode was edited by Robert Wilkinson.
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.