150-year-old The Balsams in Dixville Notch, NH may end up being the largest ski resort in New England at full build out.
“We found 3,200 acres of land behind the mountain that no one had really looked at for skiing before and it’s some of the most phenomenal ski terrain in the Northeast of the United States.” – Les Otton, Sunday River owner & The Balsams developer told WMUR
The Balsams ski resort was last open in 2011.
Les Otton, the developer, is hoping to put $143 million into phase 1 of the redevelopment.
Developers are claiming that The Balsams would deliver:
- Longer ski season with earlier opening and later closing.
- Better snow quality.
- Twice the number of acres of skiable terrain than the closest Eastern competitor.
Proposed Improvements for The Balsams:
- 22 ski lifts at full build-out
- 2,200 acres of skiable terrain
- 2,350-foot base
- 400-500 new rooms
- 60-miles of nordic trails
- 600 construction jobs
- 400 permanent jobs