A British Columbia ski resort has been fined $7,031.05 after an employee died after getting stuck beneath a snow groomer last year, reports GlobalNews.
The fatal accident happened at Baldy Mountain Resort in February 2021. The employee was 70-years-old.
A report by WorkSafeBC said two workers were traveling in the groomer. After stopping, one employee got out of the cab, but the snowcat suddenly moved, trapping the employee and causing fatal injuries.
“WorkSafeBC’s investigation determined that the machine’s tiller had malfunctioned, preventing the operator from reversing the machine after the injured worker was caught. In addition, neither worker had been adequately trained on this machine, which lacked an interlock mechanism to automatically apply the parking brake when a door of the cab was opened. Furthermore, no hazard identification or risk assessment had been conducted for the planned maintenance activities and no safe work procedures had been developed.”
– WorkSafe’s report
The report said that the resort failed to ensure all workers’ health and safety and provided its workers with the information, instruction, training, and supervision necessary to ensure their health and safety.