The Denver Post just published an article detailing statistics and causes of injuries and fatalities at Colorado ski resorts. findings are eye-opening.
Highlighted Injury Facts:
– 600,000 people are injured skiing/snowboarding each year
– About 2 injuries for ever 1,000 skier visits is the national norm, this is a 50% decrease in injuries since 1970s
– Snowboarders have a lower fatality rate but twice the injury rate of skiers
– Rise in helmet use is associated with a decrease in deaths
– 54 skier/snowboarder deaths last season at USA ski resorts who saw 51 million skier visits
– 19 people died last season at Colorado ski resorts (their most ever) who saw 11 million skier visits
Read More: Denver Post
We want to thank the thousands of ski patrollers in USA working hard not only to keep us safe, but to care for us once we become injured. Thanks patrol.