The below is a Facebook post by Mono County Supervisor Stacy Corless:
Trash, crowds, illegal camping, and fires… and Covid-19. Mammoth Lakes, CA (along with mountain and resort communities across the state and the west) is straining under the pressure of increased tourism and pandemic response.
- Related: Surge in Coronavirus Cases in Mammoth Lakes Puts Mono County, CA on State Watchlist for First Time
The image above is a collage of photos, comments, and posts that I’ve received and seen on social media over the past few days. Here’s a recap of what I heard from you (and I am listening!):
Enforcement of Health Orders
- What’s happening now isn’t enough, there needs to be more visible enforcement, use of individual fines
- Particular frustration with Vons, that the Mammoth store’s policy is different than locations in Southern California (no critique of local workers, just of corporate management)
- Work with willing local businesses to promote best practices to prevent viral spread
- Need to scale back tourism as coronavirus numbers increase, and better manage visitation/lodging/camping (lower occupancy)
- Protect workers, vulnerable residents at risk due to an overwhelming number of visitors
- Need for clear, direct messaging to visitors, not advertising
- Explosion of people in Lakes Basin and other recreation areas, other areas on weekends, needs cooperative management/attention from the Forest Service, town and county
- Dispersed camping within/around town, no enforcement, fire danger causing locals to go out on patrol, need ALL agencies working together for a real presence (don’t say “this isn’t our jurisdiction”)
Both the Board of Supervisors and Town Council meet next week and we need to hear from you at these meetings. Send an email, attend the meeting (online), and make a comment.
This is also a time for us to come together as a community to strengthen our resolve and our vision for who we want to be. I hope we can double down on stewardship, kindness, generosity, and grace.
Board of Supervisors email (c/o clerk of the board) email@example.com, find 8/4 meeting details here: https://monocounty.ca.gov/bos/page/board-supervisors-84
Town Council email firstname.lastname@example.org, find 8/5 meeting details here: http://mammothlakes.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=4
Other opportunities for engagement:
7/30 Community Conversations (with Unified Command Emergency Operations Center)—5:30 English, 6:30 Spanish, details (and lots more information) at coronavirus.monocounty.ca.gov
8/1 Office Hours—Councilmember John Wentworth and I will be holding online “office” hours this Saturday at 4 pm, email email@example.com for more information.