Living in a mountain town is the best way to achieve the ski-bum dream, but unfortunately, mountain homes don’t tend to fit a ski-bum budget. Worry not though, magazine House Beautiful has listed the most affordable mountain towns in the USA to make that dream a reality.
Obviously, you’re not going to get that condo in Aspen, that house in Park City, or a cabin in Telluride, but each of these areas offers some epic skiing right on your doorstep. What matters most to you, a luxurious home with a three-car garage and sauna, or being able to shred right out of your front door?
10. Mammoth Lakes, CA – Average Home Cost: $438,686.
- Nearest resort: Mammoth Mountain
9. Silverthorne, CO – Average Home Cost: $428,367.
- Nearest resorts: Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin, Loveland, Copper
8. Taos, NM – Average Home Cost: $401,864.
- Nearest resort: Taos Ski Valley
7. South Lake Tahoe, CA – Average Home Cost: $400,288
- Nearest resorts: Heavenly, Kirkwood, Sierra-at-Tahoe
6. Durango, CO – Average Home Cost: $397,124
- Nearest resort: Purgatory
5. Granby, CO – Average Home Cost: $354,721
- Nearest resorts: Ski Granby Ranch, Winter Park
4. Big Bear, CA – Average Home Cost: $312,662
- Nearest resorts: Big Bear Mountain Resort, Snow Summit
3. Maggie Valley, NC – Average Home Cost: $253,851
- Nearest resort: Cataloochee Ski Area
2. Conway, NH – Average Home Cost: $237,708
- Nearest resorts: Cranmore Mountain Resort, Attitash, Wildcat
1. Poconos, PA – Average Home Cost: $199,797
- Nearest resorts: Blue Mountain Resort, Camelback Mountain, Big Boulder Ski Area
*House prices based on 2020 data.