View this post on Instagram
Antarctica Ski Day #3
Yesterday = Nansen Island in a fierce blizzard! We’d never experienced such a white-out blizzard in Antarctica before, and we gotta say that it was exhilarating, and we can’t complain about powder skiing.
We’d also never experienced “grease ice” (slushy sea ice) before, and the stuff is wild. The grease ice turned the entire zone down here into another world.
It must have been snowing over an inch per hour out there, and we heard and saw some significant avalanches come down into the ocean off nearby Enterprise Island.
We kept it mellow and even had a big old party ski and enjoyed the tar out of some long zodiac rides through the icebergs and forming sea ice. What an adventure!
The juxtaposition of the extreme weather and the luxury of the Ocean Albatros is vicious. Imagine being in this whiteout storm and then minutes later being in an elevator.
3,600-Mile Patagonia to Antarctica Safari 2023
- Day #1 = Bariloche to Skiing La Hoya in Esquel, Argentina
- Day #2 = Esquel, ARG to Puyuhuapi, Chile | Flipping Our Raft in Class IV Rapids
- Day #3 = Puyuhuapi, Chile to Coyhaique Chile | Jungle Hike to Hanging Glacier Waterfall
- Day #4 = Coyhaique, Chile → Puerta Rio Tranquila, Chile | Skiing El Fraile & The Ripping Winds of Cerro Castillo
- Day #5 = Puerta Rio Tranquila, Chile → Perito Moreno, Argentina | The Legendary Marble Caves of Lake General Carrera
- Day #6 = Perito Moreno, ARG → El Chalten, ARG | Flamingos & Fuzzy Llamas
- Day #7 = Skiing Powder on Cerro Creston in El Chalten, Argentina in the Shadow of the Fitz Roy Towers
- Day #8 = Getting Married Under 10,262′ Cerro Torre in El Chalten, Argentina
- Day #9 = Skiing Cerro Vespignani in El Chalten, ARG With The Fitz Roy Towers in Our Faces
- Day #10 & 11 = El Chalten, ARG to Rio Gallegos, ARG to Ushuaia, ARG | Guanacos on the Fence, Rheas, Crossing The Straights of Magellan
- Antarctica Ski Trip 2023 | Day #1 = Deception Island – Orcas, Penguins, & Corn in an Active Volcano
- Antarctica Ski Trip 2023 | Day #2 = Portal Point & “The Blue Room” – Fierce Sunshine & Wild Terrain