The SnowBrains Podcast is back! Today we’re launching season two with a brand new episode. Season two promises to be bigger and better, and we already have some fantastic guests lined up for your listening pleasure.
Launched in October 2020, The SnowBrains Podcast was an unmitigated success, breaking into the top 17% of all podcasts on Earth and exceeding our wildest dreams. Some of the big-name guests we interviewed were Bode Miller, Cody Townsend, Jeremy Jones, and Daron Rahlves.
My guest today is Doug Stoup. Doug has been to the north and south poles more than any other person on Earth. Doug has been to Antarctica 49 times. Doug has mountaineered all over the world including Ama Dablam and Earth’s 6th highest peak Cho Oyu in the Himalaya. He’s guided and skied for the camera with Warren Miller. Doug is the founder and owner of Ice Axe Expeditions, a guiding service that takes guests all over the world including Antarctica, the North Pole, Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard, the Amazon, and more. Oh, and he was a pro soccer player. No biggie…
“Mark was outside doing his morning business and I was in the tent melting some ice and snow to make water… I hear Mark scream––“he’s gonna kill me, he’s gonna kill me!’ So I unzip the tent, and about five meters away is a 12-foot tall polar bear standing on its hind legs, and Mark has a shovel in his hand trying to keep the polar bear at bay with his pants down by his ankles. He’s screaming ‘grab the gun, grab the gun!” I grab the gun, I load the gun. Petra’s the gun guy so he grabs the barrel of the gun, but he was in his sleeping bag, so it’s at around -50ºC and so he grabbed the metal barrel of the gun and ripped about ten layers of skin off his hand. So he’s screaming, Mark’s screaming, it was a little bit chaotic. We ended up shooting the gun in the air and scaring the bear away.”
– Doug Stoup
This episode is brought to you by Scott Sports:
Technology, innovation, and design is the name of the game and that’s exactly what SCOTT Sports is; It’s in their DNA. Skiing is about testing yourself – seeing the possibilities that you are presented with and pushing yourself to seize the greatest challenges. SCOTT Sports has the gear to help you do just that. To learn more check out scottsports.com and see what real innovation looks like.
Skip the lift lines this year and get in the backcountry! With all the new SCOTT winter essentials, you’re set to have a safe and fun time in the mountains. Check out their new product line at scottsports.com
Looking to test the boundaries but fearful of high-risk situations? SCOTT Sports knows the danger, that’s why they’ve developed the Patrol E1 Avalanche Backpack. It’s the ultimate freeskiing avalanche backpack, pushing the boundaries of innovation. The supercapacitor technology, along with exceptional design, results in one of the lightest electric airbag backpacks on the market to date! To learn more go to scottsports.com
This episode is also brought to you by Alta Ski Area:
Alta is an independent ski area where the soul of skiing continues to live on for 84 winters. Alta is a skier’s only mountain, celebrated for its frequent powder days, averaging 540” of snowfall each winter.
With an 84-year history, Alta is a place that is steeped in history and tradition. We’re not talking about your grandfathers or grandmothers mothbally ski sweater tradition. We’re talking about the birthplace of avalanche research in North America kind of tradition. Alta is a place where the five independent lodges still offer the tradition of family-style dinners and ski bars that generations of skiers have frequented.
Alta’s opening day is set for November 20th, conditions permitting. We will see you out there. And as Alta likes to say. Come for the skiing. Stay for the skiing.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #21 – Doug Stoup – | Brought to you by Alta Ski Area & Scott Sports
Recorded on July 28, 2021, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Lake Tahoe, CA (Doug Stoup).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion