The SnowBrains Podcast is back! Last week we launched season two with an awesome conversation with Doug Stoup, and today we’re back with another new episode. Season two promises to be bigger and better, and we already have some fantastic guests lined up for your listening pleasure.
Launched in October 2020, The SnowBrains Podcast was an unmitigated success, breaking into the top 17% of all podcasts on Earth and exceeding our wildest dreams. Some of the big-name guests we interviewed were Bode Miller, Cody Townsend, Jeremy Jones, and Daron Rahlves.
My guest today is Bjarne Salen. Bjarne is best known for his talents behind the camera filming The Fifty Project with Cody Townsend where Bjarne documents Cody climbing and skiing the 50 Classic Ski Descents of North America. This video series has been insanely popular with somewhere around 15-million views on the 35 or so videos they’ve already created thus far.
That part of Bjarne we already know a bit about. What was fascinating to me was learning about Bjarne’s extensive ski mountaineering history all over the world including Chamonix, Patagonia, New Zealand, Alaska, all over North America, and more. Bjarne’s skill, resilience, and ability to stay calm in the mountains is remarkable.
Bjarne was filming his close friend Andreas Franson when Andreas passed away in an avalanche with legendary freestyle skier JP Auclair deep in Chilean Patagonia in 2015. Like so many of us who dedicate our lives to the mountains, this was not the only close friend Bjarne has lost. Learning Bjarne’s perspective on life, his willingness to confront drastic change head-on and his vicious passion for the mountains changed me, and hope it changes you.
This episode is brought to you by Scott Sports:
Technology, innovation, and design is the name of the game and that’s exactly what SCOTT Sports is; It’s in their DNA. Skiing is about testing yourself – seeing the possibilities that you are presented with and pushing yourself to seize the greatest challenges. SCOTT Sports has the gear to help you do just that. To learn more check out scottsports.com and see what real innovation looks like.
Skip the lift lines this year and get in the backcountry! With all the new SCOTT winter essentials, you’re set to have a safe and fun time in the mountains. Check out their new product line at scottsports.com
Looking to test the boundaries but fearful of high-risk situations? SCOTT Sports knows the danger, that’s why they’ve developed the Patrol E1 Avalanche Backpack. It’s the ultimate freeskiing avalanche backpack, pushing the boundaries of innovation. The supercapacitor technology, along with exceptional design, results in one of the lightest electric airbag backpacks on the market to date! To learn more go to scottsports.com
This episode is also brought to you by Alta Ski Area:
Alta is an independent ski area where the soul of skiing continues to live on for 84 winters. Alta is a skier’s only mountain, celebrated for its frequent powder days, averaging 540” of snowfall each winter.
With an 84-year history, Alta is a place that is steeped in history and tradition. We’re not talking about your grandfathers or grandmothers mothbally ski sweater tradition. We’re talking about the birthplace of avalanche research in North America kind of tradition. Alta is a place where the five independent lodges still offer the tradition of family-style dinners and ski bars that generations of skiers have frequented.
Alta’s opening day is set for November 20th, conditions permitting. We will see you out there. And as Alta likes to say. Come for the skiing. Stay for the skiing.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #22 – Bjarne – | Brought to you by Alta Ski Area & Scott Sports
Recorded on July 29, 2021, in the California Delta (Miles Clark) and Portland, OR (Bjarne Salen).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion