Brought to you by Tamarack Resort & Alta Ski Area
“You should not be doing things with the objective of making a social media post about it. Go do things for the experience, not because you get to make a post.” – Scott Gaffney
My guest today is Scott Gaffney. Scott is the filmer, director, and editor of the famous Matchstick Productions who makes some of the strongest ski movies in existence. Scott is literally the G in Shane McConkey’s game of GNAR (Gaffney’s Numerical Assessment of Radness) that we all love so well. He even edited and produced the movie GNAR. Scott has been all over the world and witnessed some of the most face-melting ski sessions that have ever gone down. His love for Squaw Valley Palisades Tahoe shines through all he does and his stories of spending time with and watching the progression of his best friend Shane McConkey are absolutely golden. Scott’s affinity for surfing in freezing cold Lake Tahoe during the winter is weird and fascinating. Scott is a world-class skier in his own right and is still crushing it at 52-years-old. Scott is truly an inspiration and what he’s seen go down in the ski world is intensely unique.
This episode is brought to you by Tamarack Resort:
Nestled in the west-central mountains of Idaho Tamarack boasts 1,100-acres of terrain, 2,800-vertical-feet, and an independent spirit and community vibe unmatched in the west.
You might come to Tamarack Resort for the views that unfold across the valley, or the unspoiled terrain and vast open bowls. Maybe you’ll come to uncover a place that’s a little different, that’s down to earth and at home on the path less traveled. But we know you’ll come back because there’s a community of people at Tamarack who make you feel like you’re in the right place, at the right time.
For the free-spirits that hear the call of the undiscovered and believe the future truly is boundless, Tamarack Resort is the place for you. And we can’t wait to welcome you with arms wide open. Find it. Together. At TamarackIdaho.com
This episode is also brought to you by Alta Ski Area
Alta is an independent ski area where the soul of skiing continues to live on for 84 winters. Alta is a skier’s only mountain, celebrated for its frequent powder days, averaging 540” of snowfall each winter.
With an 84-year history, Alta is a place that is steeped in history and tradition. We’re not talking about your grandfathers or grandmothers mothbally ski sweater tradition. We’re talking about the birthplace of avalanche research in North America kind of tradition.
Alta is a place where the five independent lodges still offer the tradition of family-style dinners and ski bars that generations of skiers have frequented.
Alta’s opening day was November 24th. We will see you out there. And as Alta likes to say. Come for the skiing. Stay for the skiing.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #24 – Scott Gaffney | Brought to you by Tamarack Resort & Alta Ski Area.
Recorded on November 11, 2021, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Tahoe City, CA (Scott Gaffney).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder