Brought to you by Tamarack Resort
“It’s early in the winter and I wish that everybody has a great rest of the season. Think about avalanches, but don’t let them prevent you from going out into the backcountry; there’s great recreation out there. Pick your days, pick your routes carefully, and have a really fun and safe winter.”
– Dr. Ethan Greene
My guest today is Dr. Ethan Greene. Dr. Greene has been the director of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center since 2005. He’s worked in the snow and avalanches since 1990. He grew up in Boulder, CO, and worked as a ski patroller at Big Sky Montana and as a backcountry avalanche forecaster for the Utah Avalanche Center. Dr. Greene has an undergraduate degree in meteorology. A Masters in atmospheric science. A Ph.D. in geoscience. He’s written two books on snow science and avalanches and has over 45 publications in the snow science world and he is obviously an avid backcountry skier.
This episode is brought to you by Tamarack Resort:
Nestled in the west-central mountains of Idaho, Tamarack boasts 1,100-acres of terrain, 2,800-vertical-feet, and an independent spirit and community vibe unmatched in the west.
You might come to Tamarack Resort for the views that unfold across the valley or the unspoiled terrain and vast open bowls. Maybe you’ll come to uncover a place that’s a little different, that’s down to Earth and at home on the path less traveled. But we know you’ll come back because there’s a community of people at Tamarack who make you feel like you’re in the right place, at the right time.
For the free-spirits that hear the call of the undiscovered and believe the future truly is boundless, Tamarack Resort is the place for you. And we can’t wait to welcome you with arms wide open. Find it. Together. At TamarackIdaho.com
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #26 – Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Have The Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
Recorded on November 29, 2021, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Leadville, CO (Dr. Ethan Greene).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s G.N.A.R., Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star