Report from December 2, 2022
On ski day #4, we had a real treat.
On the initial skin up Nansen Island, the snow was firm and I was already setting expectations for my clients relatively low.
Then, we got to the top and backside of the mountain was reportedly skiing well.
They weren’t lying.
We dropped in and skied a long powder line through serac debris right down the the coastal ice cliffs.
We were stoked!
We wrapped around and skied the same line again.
After 3 big laps we were over 3,000-vertical-feet and satisfied.
We called for a Zodiac ride to go check out icebergs and the local shipwreck, the Govenorn.
The icebergs were out of this world with blues you don’t see anywhere else.
On our way to the shipwreck we found a large Leopard Seal and gawked at it for an hour…
Leopard Seals are ferocious and fearless – it certainly wasn’t afraid of us.
We also check out the shipwreck and learned its history – a whale oil ship that sunk there in 1915.
Right after skiing, we did the polar plunge and it made us high!
From the plunge to the outdoor BBQ.
A non-stop day…
ANTARCTICA 2022 [2.0] REPORTS
- Antarctica [2.0] Day #4: Powder Snow, Leopard Seal, Shipwreck, Stunning Icebergs, & The Polar Plunge
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #3: Powder Snow & Steep Skiing Above Icebergs Bobbing in the Sea
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #2: Winds So Strong The Captain Called Us Back To The Ship…
- Antarctica 2022 [2.0] Day #1: Deception Island – Skiing in an Active Volcano…
NOVEMBER 2022 REPORTS FROM ARGENTINA, CHILE, ANTARCTICA
IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
Tierra Del Fuego
Tierra Del Fuego
- Patagonia Road Trip Day #5: 15-Mile Round Trip Hike to See The Legendary 11,171′ Mt. Fitzroy From Lago Sucio